News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Sandberg. Really?  ( 21,213 )

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Sandberg. Really?
« Reply #120 on: July 22, 2010, 03:38:07 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 22, 2010, 03:25:47 PM
Quote from: Bort on July 22, 2010, 03:16:41 PM
Quote from: Eli on July 22, 2010, 02:55:45 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 22, 2010, 02:48:18 PM
Quote from: Yeti on July 22, 2010, 02:41:10 PM
I told you what you wanted. And now you want more? Jesus, Chuck, take Sandberg's dick out of your mouth.

You told us SOME of what we wanted.

The evidence is circumstantial at best.

Unfortunately, minor-league-baseball-sacrifice-bunts-by-inning is a stat that isn't kept.  So you can't fault anyone for not bringing you those stats.  It'd be like asking someone to bring you Matt Murton on a unicorn.  It's impossible.

I suppose Internet Eli will take Bill James' dick out of his mouth long enough to say this doesn't count.

What inning was he riding that unicorn?

2nd. One out.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2010, 05:17:06 PM »
I'm pretty "meh" on the prospect of Sandberg as the manager as I think the manager doesn't factor in the team's win-loss as much as sone people do. Here's a nice statfaggy outlook on managers: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/wakamatsu-and-others-fired/

I especially like the part about salaries.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2010, 06:21:40 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on August 10, 2010, 05:17:06 PM
Here's a nice statfaggy outlook on managers: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/wakamatsu-and-others-fired/

I especially like the part about salaries.

So, in summary:

1. Sometimes managers get fired
2. It's tough to tell if they deserve it or not
3. Profit?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #123 on: August 24, 2010, 07:43:40 AM »
Wojo: "Yes, really!"

QuoteThe next manager of the Cubs has a high tolerance for excellence and a low tolerance for divas (uh-oh, Carlos Zambrano). As a bonus, he once told a sports writer, "I should drop you" -- as in, introduce the working end of his knuckles to the guy's jaw for asking one too many questions.

That sports writer was me.

Uh-oh, George Castle.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2010, 08:00:38 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on August 24, 2010, 07:43:40 AM

QuoteThe next manager of the Cubs has a high tolerance for excellence and a low tolerance for divas (uh-oh, Carlos Zambrano). As a bonus, he once told a sports writer, "I should drop you" -- as in, introduce the working end of his knuckles to the guy's jaw for asking one too many questions.

Don't think there's going to be much of that around for him to have to tolerate.
Uh-oh, George Castle.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #125 on: August 24, 2010, 09:01:14 AM »

Uh-oh, George Castle.

Finally! Someone who won't tolerate Carlos Zambrano. That should fix everything that's wrong with the Cubs.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #126 on: August 24, 2010, 09:43:26 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 24, 2010, 09:01:14 AM

Uh-oh, George Castle.

Finally! Someone who won't tolerate Carlos Zambrano. That should fix everything that's wrong with the Cubs.

I'm tired of tolerating him not being good.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #127 on: August 24, 2010, 09:49:49 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on August 24, 2010, 09:43:26 AM
Quote from: Slaky on August 24, 2010, 09:01:14 AM

Uh-oh, George Castle.

I'm tired of tolerating him not being good.

But can you tolerate his excellence?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #128 on: August 25, 2010, 08:58:38 AM »
Dave Van Dyk just told Mully and Hanley that Quade has the leg up for the top step full-time next season. He said Hendry really likes him, as he hired him in the first place. He agreed with what Dolan's been writing, that the Cubs hired Sandberg as window dressing and sent him deep into the minors in hopes that he'd get bored and quit.

According to Dave, they're hoping the Cubs finish with a .500+ record under Quade to make it an easier sell. The fans are going to absolutely fucking hate this.

I don't know how I feel about it, having yet to hear boo from Slezak on it, but it seems like Hendry would get the blame for the Quade hiring when the Cubs suck next year and both guys would be gone. That would open the door for the Maddux/Sandberg/Maddux/Dernier/Varsho/Wood regime to take over and save our motherloving souls.

Fuck.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #129 on: August 25, 2010, 09:05:20 AM »
I'd be ok with Quade.

But I'm also self-aware enough to know that nobody gives a shit what I think.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #130 on: August 25, 2010, 09:21:41 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on August 25, 2010, 08:58:38 AM
Dave Van Dyk just told Mully and Hanley that Quade has the leg up for the top step full-time next season. He said Hendry really likes him, as he hired him in the first place. He agreed with what Dolan's been writing, that the Cubs hired Sandberg as window dressing and sent him deep into the minors in hopes that he'd get bored and quit.

According to Dave, they're hoping the Cubs finish with a .500+ record under Quade to make it an easier sell. The fans are going to absolutely fucking hate this.

I don't know how I feel about it, having yet to hear boo from Slezak on it, but it seems like Hendry would get the blame for the Quade hiring when the Cubs suck next year and both guys would be gone. That would open the door for the Maddux/Sandberg/Maddux/Dernier/Varsho/Wood regime to take over and save our motherloving souls.

Fuck.

Wait.  Are these guys going to manage/coach or play?  Think about Gary Varsho in uniform again.  Whom do we have who is better?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #131 on: August 25, 2010, 09:29:54 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on August 25, 2010, 09:21:41 AM

Fuck.

Wait.  Are these guys going to manage/coach or play?  Think about Gary Varsho in uniform again.  Whom do we have who is better?

Everybody but Nady now that the gnomes are gone.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #132 on: August 25, 2010, 09:33:30 AM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on August 25, 2010, 09:05:20 AM
I'd be ok with Quade.

But I'm also self-aware enough to know that nobody gives a shit what I think.

Paul would approve of this sentiment. Needs more tits though.

motown

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #133 on: August 25, 2010, 09:49:36 AM »
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=403055&src=152:

QuoteIn-game managing: Part of the fun of following baseball is discussing the manager's moves the next day. Sandberg says he prefers an aggressive style of managing.

"I think I go with what players I have," he said. "I let the players use their abilities and what they're capable of doing. If they're capable of stealing bases, I'm going to give them the green light. I'm going to teach them to pick their spots and to get a base when they can get a base.

"I like movement on the bases. I like to hit-and-run. I like to go for the win and force the issue and try to win a game as opposed to sitting back.

"It's somewhat gut feeling. It's somewhat experience. It's all those things making a split-(second) decision. It's whatever the game calls for at that time, and whatever my instincts tell me to do."

Well, it doesn't quite settle the question of how many times Sandberg calls for a bunt in the first inning, but I'm worried that it's time to sell high on my Sandberg memorabilia.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #134 on: August 25, 2010, 10:09:09 AM »

Fuck.

It could be even worse if Sandberg winds up managing somewhere else after being passed up for Quade.