News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2010 College Football  ( 65,523 )

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2010 College Football
« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2010, 09:21:43 AM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on September 03, 2010, 09:18:30 AM
Quote from: Yeti on September 03, 2010, 08:43:54 AM
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on September 02, 2010, 11:30:06 PM
Dave Wannstedt has yet to play to win a game in his coaching career.

Huh?

The 3rd down call at the end of regulation, playing it "safe" and running the ball, instead of throwing a fade or taking a shot at the back of the end zone and letting one of the big guys go up and get it.  Wanny never has played to blow teams out or win by a wide margin.  He only plays to be in a close game.  He wasn't even good at that in the NFL.  But to win in college, offense matters a lot more than defense.  If the other team is good, you can win a shootout...and if they aren't, you don't risk losing because it's a blowout.

Wanny plays for the close game...and/or not to lose, which is why his teams inexcusably lose close games like last night or blow big leads when they get em like they did to Cincy last year.  He's a good recruiter, but an epically fucking shitty coach and football strategerist.

I'm convinced he's only coached games to be close or not to lose.  He's not once actually coached a game to win.

Your comment should be up for a "meathead of the year" nomination.

So, when he's won games, what was he doing then?

Because he's won a few games before.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #91 on: September 03, 2010, 09:25:33 AM »

Huh?

The 3rd down call at the end of regulation, playing it "safe" and running the ball, instead of throwing a fade or taking a shot at the back of the end zone and letting one of the big guys go up and get it.  Wanny never has played to blow teams out or win by a wide margin.  He only plays to be in a close game.  He wasn't even good at that in the NFL.  But to win in college, offense matters a lot more than defense.  If the other team is good, you can win a shootout...and if they aren't, you don't risk losing because it's a blowout.

Wanny plays for the close game...and/or not to lose, which is why his teams inexcusably lose close games like last night or blow big leads when they get em like they did to Cincy last year.  He's a good recruiter, but an epically fucking shitty coach and football strategerist.

I'm convinced he's only coached games to be close or not to lose.  He's not once actually coached a game to win.

Didn't they throw it to that big fucker on second down? And he didn't come down with it? Sunseri was starting in his first game and there were a few decisions of his I wasn't cracked up about. I don't think I'd let him take another shot either. Your team was down 10 points and came back to tie. I'd take my chances in OT... until, oh yea, Sunseri threw a pick.

Also, if he plays for the close game, how did they get one on Cincinnati last year? Also, Utah is a pretty good team. I don't know if I'd say they "inexplicably lost".

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #92 on: September 03, 2010, 09:37:15 AM »
Listen, guys... we can argue about strategy and whathaveyou all day long. But the important thing is that we're finally talking about Pittsburgh again.

And I think we can all be thankful for that.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #93 on: September 03, 2010, 09:38:53 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on September 03, 2010, 09:37:15 AM
Listen, guys... we can argue about strategy and whathaveyou all day long. But the important thing is that we're finally talking about Pittsburgh again.

I refuse to take part in anything that might construed as defending Dave Wannestadt.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2010, 09:53:42 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on September 03, 2010, 09:37:15 AM

Fuck, I didn't even connect the dots..

FUCK YOU CFiHP

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2010, 10:28:23 AM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on September 03, 2010, 09:18:30 AMWanny never has played to blow teams out or win by a wide margin.  He only plays to be in a close game.  He wasn't even good at that in the NFL.  But to win in college, offense matters a lot more than defense.  If the other team is good, you can win a shootout...and if they aren't, you don't risk losing because it's a blowout.

When some highly intelligent future civilization digs up the internets and attempts to understand them, this sentence will puzzle them for decades.

I'm kind of butthurt that I don't understand hockey better. Because I assume your hockey analysis would be just as mind-numbingly hilarious as your football analysis.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2010, 10:34:09 AM »
Quote from: R-V on September 03, 2010, 10:28:23 AM
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on September 03, 2010, 09:18:30 AMWanny never has played to blow teams out or win by a wide margin.  He only plays to be in a close game.  He wasn't even good at that in the NFL.  But to win in college, offense matters a lot more than defense.  If the other team is good, you can win a shootout...and if they aren't, you don't risk losing because it's a blowout.

When some highly intelligent future civilization digs up the internets and attempts to understand them, this sentence will puzzle them for decades.

I'm kind of butthurt that I don't understand hockey better. Because I assume your hockey analysis would be just as mind-numbingly hilarious as your football analysis.

Football is a simple game to figure out, dummy. It's 11 on 11.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2010, 11:32:18 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on September 03, 2010, 10:34:09 AM

Unless you're in Canada.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2010, 11:37:28 AM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on September 03, 2010, 11:32:18 AM

Unless you're in Canada.

Yea, then it's 27 on 11.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #99 on: September 03, 2010, 11:46:30 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on September 03, 2010, 11:37:28 AM

Unless you're in Canada.

Yea, then it's 27 on 11.

I don't appreciate this post
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2010, 11:47:43 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on September 03, 2010, 11:46:30 AM

Unless you're in Canada.

Yea, then it's 27 on 11.

I don't appreciate this post

You, of all people, should.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2010, 11:50:37 AM »

Unless you're in Canada.

Yea, then it's 27 on 11.

The metric system!

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2010, 03:32:08 PM »

Huh?

I'm sure there's plenty of more wrongness in your post, but this calls out like a lighthouse in a storm.

Final Rankings, Total Defense (2009)
Alabama
Nebraska
Florida
Penn St.
Ohio St.
TCU
Oklahoma
Texas
Air Force
Iowa

Of the 10 teams listed above, 8 of them were in the final AP top 25, including 7 of the top 10 and the National Champion.
The two not in the top 25, Oklahoma and Air Force, were both in the "others receiving votes"

Final Rankings, Total Offense (2009)
Boise St.
Houston
TCU
Texas
Nevada
Cincinnati
Oregon
Arkansas
Texas Tech
Stanford

Of the 10 teams listed above, 6 of them were in the final AP top 25, including 4 of the top 10.
Of the 4 not in the top 25, only one (Arkansas) was in the "others receiving votes".
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2010, 04:30:40 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on September 03, 2010, 03:32:08 PM

Huh?

I'm sure there's plenty of more wrongness in your post, but this calls out like a lighthouse in a storm.

Alabama
Nebraska
Florida
Penn St.
Ohio St.
TCU
Oklahoma
Texas
Air Force
Iowa

Of the 10 teams listed above, 8 of them were in the final AP top 25, including 7 of the top 10 and the National Champion.
The two not in the top 25, Oklahoma and Air Force, were both in the "others receiving votes"

Boise St.
Houston
TCU
Texas
Nevada
Cincinnati
Oregon
Arkansas
Texas Tech
Stanford

Of the 10 teams listed above, 6 of them were in the final AP top 25, including 4 of the top 10.
Of the 4 not in the top 25, only one (Arkansas) was in the "others receiving votes".

Yea, well this was the conventional thought before people actually started looking at those pesky stats and facts.

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2010, 06:38:11 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on September 03, 2010, 04:30:40 PM
Quote from: PenPho on September 03, 2010, 03:32:08 PM

Huh?

Alabama
Nebraska
Florida
Penn St.
Ohio St.
TCU
Oklahoma
Texas
Air Force
Iowa

Boise St.
Houston
TCU
Texas
Nevada
Cincinnati
Oregon
Arkansas
Texas Tech
Stanford

Yea, well this was the conventional thought before people actually started looking at those pesky stats and facts.

What about the all important ratio of games played to win vs. games played to not lose vs. games played to be close.

Because Wannstedt is at 0:5:7 there.

That ratio is dead center of the "bullshit toleration" zone.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.