News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2010 College Football  ( 65,727 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2010 College Football
« Reply #180 on: September 22, 2010, 04:29:24 PM »
QuoteDPD bulletin.

You take Mallett, I'll take Ponder...let's catch up in three or four seasons and see where we're at.   In some form, this will be decided.

You're tossing stats at me, when that's not what concerns me about Mallett.  I also know that college stats don't really translate all that well to the NFL, which is a point that's made every single year at draft time by just about any scout or "expert" who opines on how they try to separate QB1 from QB2.  

And my goal isn't, and hasn't been to change your mind.  You like Ryan Mallett and that's OK.

This isn't necessarily true. Some stats do translate. Before the spread offense you could typically rely on completion% as a good indicator of what a quarterback is capable of. For a player like Mallett in a pro style offense it's still fairly reliable. If a guy completes 53% in college, he's not going to do much better in the NFL. If a guy completes less than 50% of his passes in 3/4 college seasons,it's probably really fucking retarded for Brian Billick to draft him, which I called even as an 8th grader. JaMarcus was a pretty inaccurate guy with a % in the low 50% before Gary Crowton took over and installed the spread. YPA is also helpful in some cases, as Tim Couch's numbers at Kentucky looked pretty good until you realize that 70% of his attempts traveled last than 7 yards in the air his last year there.

Looking at the 1st rd picks who've gone bust the last few years or so (Russell, Quinn, Leinart, Alex Smith (maybe changing, but definitely up to this point), JP Losman, Grossman, Boller) the things that plagued these guys were all pretty apparent in college if people bothered to look. Russell actually Did have the rumors you've fabricated about The Glorious Armcock of Ryan Mallett's maturity, and he was, as I said, not very accurate until the spread arrived to inflate his numbers.

Quinn and Leinart had really shitty arm strength and people dismissed those because they were "NFL Ready", aka "They Played at a Big School in a Pro Style Offense and Were on National TV Alot."

Smith played in as pure of a spread offense as you can find and wasn't at all ready for the transition to the NFL by the time he was thrown into the mix his rookie year (even Drew Brees took 3 years to adapt).

Boller couldn't complete a pass to save his life and only went high because he threw 28 TDs his senior year and he could throw it through the goalpost from his knees at 50 yards away and Brian Billick had a boner for his arm that reason could not sway.

JP Losman completed less than 60% of his passes even in the spread and averaged less than 7.0 YPA for his career. He also threw 14 picks in Conference USA his last year, so that should have been a bit of a red flag.

Rex Grossman, well...he threw a lot of picks, if you can believe that. Like a lot of them, and his senior year he completed just 57% with only a 22-17 TD to INT ratio.

Based on those qualifications I'd say that Mallett, unless his accuracy regresses back to under 60% once he gets deeper into conference play, is the right guy. He's played in a pro-style offense, his arm strength is ungodly, his pocket presence is very impressive, and he doesn't turn the ball over anywhere near as much as ponder. Ponder has a way lower YPA (7.2 to 8.7) and way more interceptions (14 INTs in 644 attempts for a 2.2 INT% vs. 25 ints in 729 attempts for a 3.4 INT%). Ponder's also suffered a season ending injury already. I can see an argument for Luck, because he turns the ball over even less than Mallett, has an even better YPA average, and is more mobile, but not Ponder. But sure, I'll take your bet. You take Ponder, I'll take Mallett, you'll buy me a drink sometime in the future and we'll agree that Mallett is better and the 2015 version of Penfoe is still a wrongheaded asshole.

I realize you've said you aren't trying to change my mind. That's fine. But QB draft talk is like cocaine to me.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #181 on: September 23, 2010, 08:59:05 PM »
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #182 on: September 23, 2010, 09:16:39 PM »
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #183 on: September 23, 2010, 11:46:21 PM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on September 23, 2010, 08:59:05 PM
Stay classy Tucson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Q4GQTp18I

Nice job by that usher with her back turned to the shoving, screaming match going on right behind her.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #184 on: September 23, 2010, 11:54:40 PM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on September 23, 2010, 11:46:21 PM
Stay classy Tucson.

Nice job by that usher with her back turned to the shoving, screaming match going on right behind her.

D'ur.  Ushers don't have the authority to check people's papers in Arizona.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

BigDrinky

• Idiot Savant
  • Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #185 on: September 24, 2010, 09:14:28 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on September 23, 2010, 11:54:40 PM
Quote from: Kermit IV on September 23, 2010, 11:46:21 PM
Stay classy Tucson.

D'ur.  Ushers don't have the authority to check people's papers in Arizona.

I was at the game... the ushers looked like they feared for their lives in my section.  They were replaced by cops about halfway through the first quarter in my section, where the Iowa fans outnumbered the Arizona fans and it was much calmer than what was in the video.  The walk back to the car after the game was an adventure... you'd think that Arizona won by 72 points to continue their twelve year unbeaten streak. 

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #186 on: September 24, 2010, 09:51:46 PM »

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #187 on: September 24, 2010, 10:11:52 PM »
I just think it figures that I spend all year last year battling the Iowa mongoloids only for them to win 10 straight or whatever to start the season while this year I give them a tepid endorsement and That happens.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #188 on: September 24, 2010, 10:48:27 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 24, 2010, 10:11:52 PM
I just think it figures that I spend all year last year battling the Iowa mongoloids only for them to win 10 straight or whatever to start the season while this year I give them a tepid endorsement and That happens.

Sounds like a fun family reunion.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #189 on: September 24, 2010, 11:24:20 PM »
Quote from: CT III on September 24, 2010, 10:48:27 PM

I'd try to argue but, sadly, my mother's side of the family does indeed hold it's reunions in Iowa. You win. Have your moment.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #190 on: September 24, 2010, 11:53:37 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 24, 2010, 11:24:20 PM
Quote from: CT III on September 24, 2010, 10:48:27 PM

I'd try to argue but, sadly, my mother's side of the family does indeed hold it's reunions in Iowa. You win. Have your moment.

Well shit, I'm already drunk.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #191 on: September 25, 2010, 12:06:12 PM »
Sorry Pex. I think our Boilermakers just suck. I'm just going to quote Chris from SmartFootball.com: "
I'm kind of shocked by what a bad QB Robert Marve is. Purdue isn't a good team but usually has a decent QB. Marve erratic, undisciplined."

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #192 on: September 25, 2010, 12:30:15 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 25, 2010, 12:06:12 PM
Sorry Pex. I think our Boilermakers just suck. I'm just going to quote Chris from SmartFootball.com: "
I'm kind of shocked by what a bad QB Robert Marve is. Purdue isn't a good team but usually has a decent QB. Marve erratic, undisciplined."

At least we have the Bears!
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #193 on: September 25, 2010, 12:32:55 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on September 25, 2010, 12:30:15 PM

Damn straight. And Michigan just lost Denard Robinson. Michigan's misfortune is always worth laughing at. Even if Denard is a badass.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #194 on: September 25, 2010, 01:29:06 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 25, 2010, 12:32:55 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on September 25, 2010, 12:30:15 PM

Damn straight. And Michigan just lost Denard Robinson. Michigan's misfortune is always worth laughing at. Even if Denard is a badass.

He's fine. So go ahead and laugh away.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen