News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2010 College Football  ( 65,769 )

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2010 College Football
« Reply #315 on: October 26, 2010, 09:01:38 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 26, 2010, 08:17:29 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on October 26, 2010, 07:48:02 AM
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 25, 2010, 11:15:37 PM
Quote from: SKO on October 25, 2010, 11:02:22 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 25, 2010, 10:49:04 PM
Quote from: SKO on October 25, 2010, 08:10:21 PM
Quote from: BC on October 25, 2010, 08:05:43 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 25, 2010, 10:31:43 AM
They could lose to Purdue. Probably.

I'll say this for Purdue's football team...

At least their players had the dignity to wait until the season started to have hope-draining, out-for-the-season injuries.

Too soon?

It's not so much that it's too soon, just that it would be so much better if you didn't say things ever.

THI. And not merely because the Boilers lost their top running back to a torn ACL in Spring Practice this year.

Well that would have changed everything about the Big Ten's 7th worst defense and absolute worst offense.

I'm not saying it would, just that not all of their players... fuck it.

Yeah, fuck it.  Let's go bowlin', Dude.

Alamo Bowlin? Wins over Illinois, Michigan and Indiana would put us there. What are the odds of that happening? Take the amount of ass BC will graze between now and New Year's Day, divide it by three.

Purdue's not beating Illinois (this season, i.e. in their upcoming game; I have to be specific or TEC will jump on my ass).

TWEET THAT.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #316 on: October 26, 2010, 09:02:20 AM »
This makes my position on hating Boise State so much easier.

If you like Boise, you're Rick Reilly.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=5725597

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #317 on: October 26, 2010, 09:18:14 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on October 26, 2010, 08:52:13 AM
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 26, 2010, 08:17:29 AM
Alamo Bowlin? Wins over Illinois, Michigan and Indiana would put us there. What are the odds of that happening? Take the amount of ass BC will graze between now and New Year's Day, divide it by three.

But zero divided by three is still zero.

Oh.

Look at you and your fancy math.

Quote from: Slaky on October 26, 2010, 09:02:20 AM

I can't read that at work, but Reilly and Boise... I really hate myself.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #318 on: October 26, 2010, 09:20:15 AM »

Rick Reilly is the RV of metaphors.

QuoteIt's a three-card Monty game and all they get is two cards.

From my understanding of how Three-Card Monty works, it wouldn't be any more fair even if they got all three cards.

GET NOISY IN BOISE!
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #319 on: October 26, 2010, 09:25:40 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on October 26, 2010, 09:20:15 AM

From my understanding of how Three-Card Monty works, it wouldn't be any more fair even if they got all three cards.

GET NOISY IN BOISE!

This was by far my favorite line:

QuoteAnd the Broncos probably won't even if the Tigers and Ducks don't win out. Yes, we're talking about Auburn. The team that has 13 fewer wins over the past five seasons than Boise State.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #320 on: October 26, 2010, 09:27:14 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 26, 2010, 09:25:40 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on October 26, 2010, 09:20:15 AM

GET NOISY IN BOISE!

This was by far my favorite line:

QuoteAnd the Broncos probably won't even if the Tigers and Ducks don't win out. Yes, we're talking about Auburn. The team that has 13 fewer wins over the past five seasons than Boise State.

The whole even?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #321 on: October 26, 2010, 09:27:31 AM »

I don't think Boise State would win the national title against Oregon, Auburn, Alabama, or someone in that upper echelon (anyone from the Big 12? Yes.) That isn't the point. Then again, they did beat Oregon last year, and that was a 10 win team in a pretty deep Pac 10. I don't think they'd do it again last year, but Reilly has a point in that there's absolutely nothing Boise State could do to get into that game.

They beat every team that they supposedly "have to beat" to prove themselves. They've tried desperately to schedule SEC opponents and others who refuse to play them, because they don't want to hurt their own league's status as the preeminent conference in football. I realize that this will just lead to more bitching and moaning that won't accomplish anything, and there'll never be a playoff until someone figures out a way to ensure that it will raise as much money as the bowl games do, but the point is that the system is fucked and Boise's a great example of it. When they've made it to the BCS, they've won. When they've scheduled ranked BCS opponents during the season, they've won. Last year they made it to the BCS and the BCS matched them up against TCU solely for the chance to discredit whichever one of them won the game. I truly don't think Boise State is a national championship team, but I don't see how you can stand there and say that it's okay that they'll never, ever get the chance to put that to test, since the system has stacked the deck to ensure it won't happen.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #322 on: October 26, 2010, 09:31:07 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 26, 2010, 09:27:31 AM

I don't think Boise State would win the national title against Oregon, Auburn, Alabama, or someone in that upper echelon (anyone from the Big 12? Yes.) That isn't the point. Then again, they did beat Oregon last year, and that was a 10 win team in a pretty deep Pac 10. I don't think they'd do it again last year, but Reilly has a point in that there's absolutely nothing Boise State could do to get into that game.

They beat every team that they supposedly "have to beat" to prove themselves. They've tried desperately to schedule SEC opponents and others who refuse to play them, because they don't want to hurt their own league's status as the preeminent conference in football. I realize that this will just lead to more bitching and moaning that won't accomplish anything, and there'll never be a playoff until someone figures out a way to ensure that it will raise as much money as the bowl games do, but the point is that the system is fucked and Boise's a great example of it. When they've made it to the BCS, they've won. When they've scheduled ranked BCS opponents during the season, they've won. Last year they made it to the BCS and the BCS matched them up against TCU solely for the chance to discredit whichever one of them won the game. I truly don't think Boise State is a national championship team, but I don't see how you can stand there and say that it's okay that they'll never, ever get the chance to put that to test, since the system has stacked the deck to ensure it won't happen.

It's okay by me. Stop demanding a million dollars for someone to play you.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #323 on: October 26, 2010, 09:36:14 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 26, 2010, 09:31:07 AM

It's okay by me. Stop demanding a million dollars for someone to play you.

I think a better example of all of this would actually be the 2008 Utah team. They beat Michigan (albeit in a losing year, yes), an 11 win TCU team, a 9 win Oregon State team, a 10 win BYU team, and then handed Alabama a 31-17 beatdown in the Sugar Bowl, one of 3 losses that Alabama's had in 3 years, and yet they had no chance whatsoever at being awarded the national title. None. If Utah can do something like that to 'Bama, I don't see how we can really rule out the possibility that a team like Boise might actually be capable of beating one of these major conference teams in the title game. Especially because you know Auburn or Oregon will probably fuck up and lose one upset to a team they shouldn't and then some team that we all know isn't really that good like Oklahoma or Ohio State will sneak back in and then lose by 17 points while Boise State beats the ACC champion by 30 in an Orange Bowl that doesn't mean shit.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #324 on: October 26, 2010, 09:37:15 AM »
there'll never be a playoff until someone figures out a way to ensure that it will raise as much money as the bowl games do, but the point is that the system is fucked and Boise's a great example of it.

How could a playoff not make money? I just don't see how they couldn't have a playoff and then have all the side bowls that teams like Illinois will play in. They would have exactly the same significance as they currently do. And then the non-championship playoff games will be the non-title bowl games. I really don't see what the hold up is. Actually, I do see the hold up: The NCAA has no INCENTIVE to change. People like me bitch and moan and bitch and moan about the lack of a playoff but we still watch the shit out of the sport and we engage in conversation about the sport. Fuck.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #325 on: October 26, 2010, 09:40:20 AM »
I realize that this will just lead to more bitching and moaning that won't accomplish anything, and there'll never be a playoff until someone figures out a way to ensure that it will raise as much money as the bowl games do, but the point is that the system is fucked and Boise's a great example of it.

When will people learn? CAPITALISM JUST DOESN'T WORK!

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #326 on: October 26, 2010, 09:41:14 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on October 26, 2010, 09:37:15 AM
there'll never be a playoff until someone figures out a way to ensure that it will raise as much money as the bowl games do, but the point is that the system is fucked and Boise's a great example of it.

How could a playoff not make money? I just don't see how they couldn't have a playoff and then have all the side bowls that teams like Illinois will play in. They would have exactly the same significance as they currently do. And then the non-championship playoff games will be the non-title bowl games. I really don't see what the hold up is. Actually, I do see the hold up: The NCAA has no INCENTIVE to change. People like me bitch and moan and bitch and moan about the lack of a playoff but we still watch the shit out of the sport and we engage in conversation about the sport. Fuck.

All those games would undermine the TRUE reason the NCAA football exists - to educate these student atheletes and prepare them for life in the real world.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #327 on: October 26, 2010, 09:42:41 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on October 26, 2010, 09:40:20 AM
I realize that this will just lead to more bitching and moaning that won't accomplish anything, and there'll never be a playoff until someone figures out a way to ensure that it will raise as much money as the bowl games do, but the point is that the system is fucked and Boise's a great example of it.

Hell, capitalism doesn't really apply to sports anyway. The NFL's revenue sharing and salary caps aren't exactly all invisible-handy.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #328 on: October 26, 2010, 09:46:35 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 26, 2010, 09:42:41 AM

Hell, capitalism doesn't really apply to sports anyway. The NFL's revenue sharing and salary caps aren't exactly all invisible-handy.

Monopolies and cartels are a part of capitalism, too. Some might say a big part.

But we're straying from the salient point here, namely: when does the IWW stage their takeover of D-I football?

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #329 on: October 26, 2010, 09:50:08 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on October 26, 2010, 09:46:35 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 26, 2010, 09:42:41 AM

Monopolies and cartels are a part of capitalism, too. Some might say a big part.

But we're straying from the salient point here, namely: when does the IWW stage their takeover of D-I football?

They're too busy recovering from the devastating Jimmy John's defeat.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.