News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Your 2010 NFL Thread  ( 61,226 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Your 2010 NFL Thread
« Reply #450 on: January 14, 2011, 08:21:44 AM »
Quote from: Fork on January 14, 2011, 08:17:45 AM
Quote from: PenPho on January 13, 2011, 05:50:05 PM
Quote from: Oleg on January 13, 2011, 05:37:57 PM
Quote from: R-V on January 13, 2011, 02:53:24 PM
Outstanding.

QuoteJust when you think the chatter between the Patriots and Jets couldn't get sillier, Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker stepped to the podium Thursday as if dared to see how many "foot" references he could cram in to a single media session.  Behold:

10.  On seeing new things in the playoffs: "You definitely have to be on your and make sure you're ready to go."

On your what?  I need closure!

Toes.

It's spelled "Toews".

No. You and Eli can keep your little "hockey vs. basketball" slap and tickle OUT of the football threads.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #451 on: January 14, 2011, 08:34:11 AM »
Quote from: SKO on January 14, 2011, 08:21:44 AM
Quote from: Fork on January 14, 2011, 08:17:45 AM
Quote from: PenPho on January 13, 2011, 05:50:05 PM
Quote from: Oleg on January 13, 2011, 05:37:57 PM
Quote from: R-V on January 13, 2011, 02:53:24 PM
Outstanding.

QuoteJust when you think the chatter between the Patriots and Jets couldn't get sillier, Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker stepped to the podium Thursday as if dared to see how many "foot" references he could cram in to a single media session.  Behold:

10.  On seeing new things in the playoffs: "You definitely have to be on your and make sure you're ready to go."

On your what?  I need closure!

Toes.

It's spelled "Toews".

No. You and Eli can keep your little "hockey vs. basketball" slap and tickle OUT of the football threads.

I had nothing to do with that.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #452 on: January 14, 2011, 09:24:37 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on January 14, 2011, 09:14:16 AM
David Huh? thinks the 2006 Bears would pwn this year's version.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0114-bears-haugh-chicago--20110113,0,3415672.column

I liked the 2006 O-Line and really hope we can see Cutler working behind (||) a group that stout sometime soon. I think that unit alone gives this that team a slight edge depending on when you make the comparison. To me it's important to denote whether it's the '06 Bears pre/post Tommie Harris' injury. Before Tommie went down, this statement from Haugh rings true:

QuoteThat defense looked meaner, quicker and more feared and disruptive. It consistently created the feeling something big was about to happen because it generally did — and we'll always have the Dennis Green beer commercials to prove it.

But after? Pffft. This team would put points up against that playoff team. And Peppers would eat Grossman alive. Special Teams are obviously a wash. Coaching-wise? Fuck do I know?

Yeah, I watched the entire round table. First, they lost all credibility when they said Grossman and Jay had remarkably similar seasons because they had the same number of TD passes and other counting stats like INTs and yards were close. Apparently the fact that Cutler missed a game and a half was lost on them, as was the fact that a 13 point gap in passer rating is kinda not "very similar", since 13 points north of Cutler would be nearly 100, and I don't think anyone's out here saying he and Tom Brady played "nearly the same" this year. Also, YPA, Completion %, Adjusted YPA, things that actually show efficiency- none of that matters. I think it was Biggsy who made the argument that the 2006 defense wasn't the same in the playoffs after losing Tommie and Mike Brown, so he'd take the playoff version of the 2010 defense, but he'd take the pre-Tommie injury 2006 unit overall. They also said that the 2006 offense was better statistically, and that's true, but I think in the playoffs where all an offense needs to do is be dangerous enough to put up points in a win or go home situation, I'd much rather have the potential that Cutler offers back there. Yeah, they're scoring average was low this season thanks to a shitty showing before the bye, but they've been pretty respectable in the second half averaging almost 24 points a game. Plus, that 2006 offense tailed off significantly after the Arizona game, they went from averaging 30 points a game in the first half to a still-good 24, but not really better than this year's offense, all things considered.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #453 on: January 14, 2011, 09:27:52 AM »
Quote from: SKO on January 14, 2011, 09:24:37 AM
Quote from: Internet Apex on January 14, 2011, 09:14:16 AM
David Huh? thinks the 2006 Bears would pwn this year's version.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0114-bears-haugh-chicago--20110113,0,3415672.column

I liked the 2006 O-Line and really hope we can see Cutler working behind (||) a group that stout sometime soon. I think that unit alone gives this that team a slight edge depending on when you make the comparison. To me it's important to denote whether it's the '06 Bears pre/post Tommie Harris' injury. Before Tommie went down, this statement from Haugh rings true:

QuoteThat defense looked meaner, quicker and more feared and disruptive. It consistently created the feeling something big was about to happen because it generally did — and we'll always have the Dennis Green beer commercials to prove it.

But after? Pffft. This team would put points up against that playoff team. And Peppers would eat Grossman alive. Special Teams are obviously a wash. Coaching-wise? Fuck do I know?

Yeah, I watched the entire round table. First, they lost all credibility when they said Grossman and Jay had remarkably similar seasons because they had the same number of TD passes and other counting stats like INTs and yards were close. Apparently the fact that Cutler missed a game and a half was lost on them, as was the fact that a 13 point gap in passer rating is kinda not "very similar", since 13 points north of Cutler would be nearly 100, and I don't think anyone's out here saying he and Tom Brady played "nearly the same" this year. Also, YPA, Completion %, Adjusted YPA, things that actually show efficiency- none of that matters. I think it was Biggsy who made the argument that the 2006 defense wasn't the same in the playoffs after losing Tommie and Mike Brown, so he'd take the playoff version of the 2010 defense, but he'd take the pre-Tommie injury 2006 unit overall. They also said that the 2006 offense was better statistically, and that's true, but I think in the playoffs where all an offense needs to do is be dangerous enough to put up points in a win or go home situation, I'd much rather have the potential that Cutler offers back there. Yeah, they're scoring average was low this season thanks to a shitty showing before the bye, but they've been pretty respectable in the second half averaging almost 24 points a game. Plus, that 2006 offense tailed off significantly after the Arizona game, they went from averaging 30 points a game in the first half to a still-good 24, but not really better than this year's offense, all things considered.

Thanks for your reply. I moved my post to the 2006 Seattke thread. Carry on.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #454 on: January 16, 2011, 04:54:48 PM »
I can't believe Lovie would call a fake punt in Jets territory like that.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #455 on: January 16, 2011, 04:55:35 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 16, 2011, 04:54:48 PM

I blame his earmuffs.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #456 on: January 16, 2011, 05:02:38 PM »
Quote from: Bort on January 16, 2011, 04:55:35 PM
Quote from: SKO on January 16, 2011, 04:54:48 PM

I blame his earmuffs.

Those aren't earmuffs.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

fiveouts

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #457 on: January 16, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
Jets 28-NE 21.  

Shit just got even more interesting.  

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #458 on: January 16, 2011, 06:43:21 PM »
Wow. No way did I think the Pats were going down in the playoffs, but especially today after all the crap the Jets talked this week.
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #459 on: January 16, 2011, 06:44:06 PM »
Quote from: BC on January 16, 2011, 06:43:21 PM
Wow. No way did I think the Pats were going down in the playoffs, but especially today after all the crap the Jets talked this week.

That's because only fools believe bulletin board material should make a difference to professional athletes?

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #460 on: January 20, 2011, 04:48:45 PM »
Since this is all the "All NFL football but the Bears" thread, just wanted to say this.

For the sake of the board, it's the shortened version of Stairway to Seven.

Hope to see you all in a couple weeks.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #461 on: January 20, 2011, 07:53:40 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on January 20, 2011, 04:48:45 PM
Since this is all the "All NFL football but the Bears" thread, just wanted to say this.

If you see us, turn around and start running.

We seldom bathe.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #462 on: January 20, 2011, 09:18:31 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on January 20, 2011, 04:48:45 PM

The whole all?
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #463 on: January 27, 2011, 06:13:54 PM »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/01/27/titans-jeff-fisher/ Jeff Fisher out as coach of the Titans. Time for CT to begin lobbying that the Bears fire Lovie and bring in a real winner like Jeff for head coach.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #464 on: January 27, 2011, 06:23:29 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 27, 2011, 06:13:54 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/01/27/titans-jeff-fisher/ Jeff Fisher out as coach of the Titans. Time for CT to begin lobbying that the Bears fire Lovie and bring in a real winner like Jeff for head coach.

This is bizarre timing...seems like something the Raiders would do.

Almost seems vindictive to fire him now when most of the coaching spots are filled up, considering he would certainly have been able to find a soft landing spot (if not as HC, at least as DC) somewhere.

I guess a couple DCs are still in play (Philly, Arizona), but hard to imagine the Dolphins would have kept Sparano if Fisher was available (if not elsewhere too.)
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"