News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2010-11 Cubs Offseason: I, For One, Welcome Our New .196-Hitting Overlord  ( 68,648 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2010-11 Cubs Offseason: I, For One, Welcome Our New .196-Hitting Overlord
« Reply #420 on: January 07, 2011, 10:40:39 AM »
Quote from: Bort on January 07, 2011, 10:26:54 AM
Quote from: Yeti on January 07, 2011, 10:14:39 AM
Quote from: Eli on January 07, 2011, 09:54:39 AM
After five minutes of thinking about it, I've decided that the trade is awesome and Matt Garza is going to win the Cy Young award, Archer will blow out his shoulder and Lee will blossom into a poor man's Rey Ordonez.  And who cares about trading Chirinos and AJ Guyton?

All aboard the Garza Trainwagon™!

I know this is clearly sarcasm. In one way, I feel this way. Prospects are unknown talents. With Garza, the Cubs would know what they're getting (until he blows out his elbow in April). Lee plays the position of their current SS, but at the same time that's not to say there isn't room for both of them since the 2B spot has been so well manned lately.

The other side of me realizes that Garza doesn't make them a WS contender. It will make them a bit more likely to win the Central than before the trade, but unless the Cubs are fielding a team that they can say WILL win the Central next year with adding Garza, I don't see the sense in trading some of their best prospects.

Essentially, I can't say if I'll love or hate this trade, but I do know it won't be as bad as the WORST TREYD EVAR (DeRo).

The whole this way?

It's hard to type accurately when you're stuffing your face full of Garzanbo beans.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #421 on: January 07, 2011, 10:57:30 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 07, 2011, 10:40:14 AM
QuoteThe Tampa Bay Rays and Chicago Cubs have agreed to a multi-player deal that will bring right-handed pitcher Matt Garza to Chicago, according to a major league source.

The deal, which has been agreed to pending physicals, sends right-handed pitcher Chris Archer, outfielder Brandon Guyer, catcher Robinson Chirinos, shortstop Hak-Ju Lee and outfielder Sam Fuld to Tampa for Garza, a minor-league pitcher and a minor-league outfielder.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT SAM FULD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chuck did you just fabricate this yourself?

Way to link, no-link.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #422 on: January 07, 2011, 10:59:58 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 07, 2011, 10:57:30 AM
QuoteThe Tampa Bay Rays and Chicago Cubs have agreed to a multi-player deal that will bring right-handed pitcher Matt Garza to Chicago, according to a major league source.

The deal, which has been agreed to pending physicals, sends right-handed pitcher Chris Archer, outfielder Brandon Guyer, catcher Robinson Chirinos, shortstop Hak-Ju Lee and outfielder Sam Fuld to Tampa for Garza, a minor-league pitcher and a minor-league outfielder.

Way to link, no-link.

This guy's all over it.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #423 on: January 07, 2011, 11:11:42 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on January 07, 2011, 10:59:58 AM

Way to link, no-link.

This guy's all over it.

I got yer link right here.

The only part of the deal I'm unsure about (without knowing the two minor leaguers the Cubs are getting) is the loss of Archer.  The rest are expendable, but if Archer's control improves he'll be excellent.  As a starter.  If he ends up closing, good riddance.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #424 on: January 07, 2011, 11:12:18 AM »
Sphincter said wha?

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #425 on: January 07, 2011, 11:14:58 AM »
Quote from: Night Man on January 07, 2011, 11:11:42 AM

Way to link, no-link.

This guy's all over it.

The only part of the deal I'm unsure about (without knowing the two minor leaguers the Cubs are getting) is the loss of Archer.  The rest are expendable, but if Archer's control improves he'll be excellent.  As a starter.  If he ends up closing, good riddance.

As Apex just pointed out in the shoutbox... Archer came over in the DeRo trade. Just think about it as the Cubs flipping DeRosa for Garza.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #426 on: January 07, 2011, 11:18:12 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on January 07, 2011, 11:14:58 AM

Way to link, no-link.

This guy's all over it.

The only part of the deal I'm unsure about (without knowing the two minor leaguers the Cubs are getting) is the loss of Archer.  The rest are expendable, but if Archer's control improves he'll be excellent.  As a starter.  If he ends up closing, good riddance.

As Apex just pointed out in the shoutbox... Archer came over in the DeRo trade. Just think about it as the Cubs flipping DeRosa for Garza.

Garza for DeRosa straight up is a no-brainer.  But that's not the trade.  Archer's value has gone up since the DeRoDreamBoat left us to go get injured a lot.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #427 on: January 07, 2011, 11:21:20 AM »
Quote from: Night Man on January 07, 2011, 11:18:12 AM

Way to link, no-link.

This guy's all over it.

Garza for DeRosa straight up is a no-brainer.  But that's not the trade.  Archer's value has gone up since the DeRoDreamBoat left us to go get injured a lot.

DeRosa. For. Garza.

[leaves room, slamming door]

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #428 on: January 07, 2011, 11:29:03 AM »
If you don't like calling it the DeRosa for Garza deal, then consider it DeRosa for Jeff Stevens. And it's still a push.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #429 on: January 07, 2011, 11:29:24 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on January 07, 2011, 11:21:20 AM
Quote from: Night Man on January 07, 2011, 11:18:12 AM

Way to link, no-link.

This guy's all over it.

DeRosa. For. Garza.

[leaves room, slamming door]

MOMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #430 on: January 07, 2011, 11:40:18 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on January 07, 2011, 11:12:18 AM
BUZZKILL

Dave Cameron is often wrong and always ugly.  Some players consistently outperform their xFIP (which is kind of a sketchy metric anyway) and Garza appears to be one of them.  Plus, on a pure surface level, it's strange to say that Garza and Harang are similar styles of pitchers.  Garza's fastball is 93-95, Harang sits at 88-90.  Garza has two plus pitches, Harang doesn't have any at this point.  Harang is 32 with 1,451 innings on his arm; Garza is 27 with about half of that.

However, they are both tall, right-handed and have weird facial hair.  Maybe that's what Cameron meant.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #431 on: January 07, 2011, 11:48:04 AM »
My expectations are low for the other still-unnamed minor leaguer out of two, considering:

Quote11:23am: Fernando Perez is going to the Cubs, according to Miles. The 27-year-old outfielder has a .234/.301/.351 line in 107 big league plate appearances. He hit .223/.280/.299 in 426 plate appearances at Triple-A last year.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #432 on: January 07, 2011, 11:50:39 AM »
Quote from: Night Man on January 07, 2011, 11:48:04 AM
My expectations are low for the other still-unnamed minor leaguer out of two, considering:

Quote11:23am: Fernando Perez is going to the Cubs, according to Miles. The 27-year-old outfielder has a .234/.301/.351 line in 107 big league plate appearances. He hit .223/.280/.299 in 426 plate appearances at Triple-A last year.

Maybe you missed the part where the Cubs got Matt Garza?

I'm sure you can find the link of HuffPo or something, it's a pretty awesome story.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #433 on: January 07, 2011, 11:55:18 AM »
Quote from: PenPho on January 07, 2011, 11:50:39 AM

I'm sure you can find the link of HuffPo or something, it's a pretty awesome story.

Right, because the Rays just decided to hand Garza over and there's absolutely nothing else in the deal except him to talk about.  Also not tolerated: Tongue-in-cheek discussions of trade throw-ins.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #434 on: January 07, 2011, 12:04:08 PM »
Quote from: Night Man on January 07, 2011, 11:55:18 AM
Quote from: PenPho on January 07, 2011, 11:50:39 AM

Right, because the Rays just decided to hand Garza over and there's absolutely nothing else in the deal except him to talk about.  Also not tolerated: Tongue-in-cheek discussions of trade throw-ins.

Also also not tolerated: Tongue-in-cheek ball-busting. (||)