News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2010-11 Cubs Offseason: I, For One, Welcome Our New .196-Hitting Overlord  ( 69,631 )

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2010-11 Cubs Offseason: I, For One, Welcome Our New .196-Hitting Overlord
« Reply #375 on: December 17, 2010, 12:29:54 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on December 17, 2010, 12:27:14 PM
Considering Fukudome's bad contract only has 1 year left vs. two, this better not hai. 

The Giants and Cubs discussed a Rowand-for-Fukudome trade, said a BB source. A classic bad-contract, change-of-scenery deal.

Does it really matter? Or make a difference?

Indolent Reader

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #376 on: December 17, 2010, 12:30:47 PM »
Rowand would die.  Ivory is not as soft as padding.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #377 on: December 17, 2010, 12:31:18 PM »
Quote from: Indolent Reader on December 17, 2010, 12:30:47 PM
Rowand would die.  Ivory is not as soft as padding.

How about Ebony?
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #378 on: December 17, 2010, 12:31:53 PM »
Quote from: BH on December 17, 2010, 12:29:54 PM
Considering Fukudome's bad contract only has 1 year left vs. two, this better not hai. 

The Giants and Cubs discussed a Rowand-for-Fukudome trade, said a BB source. A classic bad-contract, change-of-scenery deal.

DPD.

It only matters in the sense that one of these asshats is under contract for 2 years.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #379 on: December 17, 2010, 12:44:13 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on December 17, 2010, 12:31:53 PM
Quote from: BH on December 17, 2010, 12:29:54 PM

DPD.

It only matters in the sense that one of these asshats is under contract for 2 years.

Having that 2nd year off the books should free up funds we use to build a championship team.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #380 on: December 17, 2010, 12:59:20 PM »
So let me see if I have this straight...

In a desire to dump payroll and open up more money for the 2012 season, the braintrust running this team think it's a good idea to dump a decent player who the GM grossly overpaid and has one year left on a bad contract in exchange for a guy who will probably kill himself running into the centerfield wall before the end of April and has TWO years left on a bad contract.

Does that about sum it up?
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #381 on: December 17, 2010, 01:06:24 PM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on December 17, 2010, 12:59:20 PM

In a desire to dump payroll and open up more money for the 2012 season, the braintrust running this team think it's a good idea to dump a decent player who the GM grossly overpaid and has one year left on a bad contract in exchange for a guy who will probably kill himself running into the centerfield wall before the end of April and has TWO years left on a bad contract.

Gentleman, can I introduce you to the concept of "insurance"?

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #382 on: December 17, 2010, 01:35:33 PM »
The Cubs already have too many outfielders.  Isn't there a shitty, overpriced second baseman that they can trade Fukudome for?
M'lady.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #383 on: December 17, 2010, 02:31:39 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on December 17, 2010, 01:35:33 PM
The Cubs already have too many outfielders.  Isn't there a shitty, overpriced second baseman that they can trade Fukudome for?

Luis Castillo

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #384 on: December 17, 2010, 02:35:16 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on December 17, 2010, 02:31:39 PM
Quote from: Canadouche on December 17, 2010, 01:35:33 PM

Luis Castillo

Is Fontenot still under contract with SFG?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #385 on: December 17, 2010, 03:07:09 PM »
Quote from: CT III on December 17, 2010, 01:06:24 PM

Well yeah, but I'm more concerned about the mess it will make when he hits that wall at full speed. How much will that cost to clean up? I guess they could make Todd do it.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Indolent Reader

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #386 on: December 17, 2010, 03:31:28 PM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on December 17, 2010, 03:07:09 PM
Quote from: CT III on December 17, 2010, 01:06:24 PM

Well yeah, but I'm more concerned about the mess it will make when he hits that wall at full speed. How much will that cost to clean up? I guess they could make Todd do it.

Just keep the padding they put in place for the NU/Ill football game.

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #387 on: December 17, 2010, 04:54:35 PM »
Rowand's owed $24 million for two, Kosuke $13.5 for one.

The only way you do this if if you spread Kosuke's salary over two years.

The Cubs would want it structured so they pay, say, $8 million of Rowand this year and they put that $5.5M difference into (their pockets) the payroll.  Then next year they pay Rowand $8 million again.

They take on an extra $2.5 million total, but they free up extra money this year and then pay the rest next year when more contracts come off the books.  The Giants end up paying more this year (Kosuke's $13.5M plus whatever percent of the $8 million they send Chicago this year with the remainder next year) but then they're done with Rowand for good.

It's the same concept as the Hundley-Karros-Grudzielanek deal.  The Cubs wanted to be done with Hundley with two years left so they ate up front money in Karros and Grudzielanek.  They got lucky that both actually played well for one year, too.

All that said, Rowand sucks.  Fuck him, and fuck the Giants.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #388 on: December 17, 2010, 05:52:22 PM »
Quote from: Andy on December 17, 2010, 04:54:35 PM

The Cubs would want it structured so they pay, say, $8 million of Rowand this year and they put that $5.5M difference into (their pockets) the payroll.  Then next year they pay Rowand $8 million again.

They take on an extra $2.5 million total, but they free up extra money this year and then pay the rest next year when more contracts come off the books.  The Giants end up paying more this year (Kosuke's $13.5M plus whatever percent of the $8 million they send Chicago this year with the remainder next year) but then they're done with Rowand for good.

It's the same concept as the Hundley-Karros-Grudzielanek deal.  The Cubs wanted to be done with Hundley with two years left so they ate up front money in Karros and Grudzielanek.  They got lucky that both actually played well for one year, too.

I don't remember anything that Andy wrote except the last phrase, and I second the motion.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #389 on: December 17, 2010, 06:22:50 PM »
Quote from: Andy on December 17, 2010, 04:54:35 PM

Hundley was a drunk piece of shit.

Fukudome can still play. This seems like a bad idea.