News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2010-11 Cubs Offseason: I, For One, Welcome Our New .196-Hitting Overlord  ( 68,657 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2010-11 Cubs Offseason: I, For One, Welcome Our New .196-Hitting Overlord
« Reply #405 on: January 07, 2011, 09:24:40 AM »
Garza gonna hai?

QuoteTampa, in the mode of retooling over the next few seasons, was willing to trade Garza for top young talent. The Rays were looking to get a shortstop, a catcher and some top-caliber young pitching in return for their pitcher.

I assume this means Jimbo is sending Castro, Soto, Cashner, and Archer to Tampa Bay.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #406 on: January 07, 2011, 09:32:24 AM »
Quote from: R-V on January 07, 2011, 09:24:40 AM
Garza gonna hai?

QuoteTampa, in the mode of retooling over the next few seasons, was willing to trade Garza for top young talent. The Rays were looking to get a shortstop, a catcher and some top-caliber young pitching in return for their pitcher.

I assume this means Jimbo is sending Castro, Soto, Cashner, and Archer to Tampa Bay.

According to Bruce Miles, you're not too far off.

QuoteWould you give up Chris Archer, Hak-Ju Lee, Brandon Guyer and Robinson Chirinos to get Matt Garza. The Cubs are getting set to do just that, I've learned this morning.

Those are our #1, #4 and #10 prospects.  I like Garza well enough, but that's a boatload of young talent to give up for him.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #407 on: January 07, 2011, 09:47:06 AM »
QuoteWould you give up Chris Archer, Hak-Ju Lee, Brandon Guyer and Robinson Chirinos to get Matt Garza.

Maybe?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #408 on: January 07, 2011, 09:48:59 AM »
Quote from: Eli on January 07, 2011, 09:32:24 AM
Quote from: R-V on January 07, 2011, 09:24:40 AM
Garza gonna hai?

According to Bruce Miles, you're not too far off.

QuoteWould you give up Chris Archer, Hak-Ju Lee, Brandon Guyer and Robinson Chirinos to get Matt Garza. The Cubs are getting set to do just that, I've learned this morning.

Those are our #1, #4 and #10 prospects.  I like Garza well enough, but that's a boatload of young talent to give up for him.

Maybe we could send them a DVD of Archer instead. The show. It's really funny.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #409 on: January 07, 2011, 09:54:39 AM »
After five minutes of thinking about it, I've decided that the trade is awesome and Matt Garza is going to win the Cy Young award, Archer will blow out his shoulder and Lee will blossom into a poor man's Rey Ordonez.  And who cares about trading Chirinos and AJ Guyton?

All aboard the Garza Trainwagon™!

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #410 on: January 07, 2011, 09:58:04 AM »
Quote from: Eli on January 07, 2011, 09:54:39 AM
After five minutes of thinking about it, I've decided that the trade is awesome and Matt Garza is going to win the Cy Young award, Archer will blow out his shoulder and Lee will blossom into a poor man's Rey Ordonez.  And who cares about trading Chirinos and AJ Guyton?

That Guyton. He could create his own shot. I hate to see them lose Archer too. But really what's his ultimate upside. In your wildest geigh fantasies do you envision him being as valuable as Matt Garza? In mine he is. But we all know what I am.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #411 on: January 07, 2011, 10:00:13 AM »

As Chuck pointed out in the Shoutbox, based upon how Cubs' "top prospects" have panned out, that might be one very small boat.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #412 on: January 07, 2011, 10:01:14 AM »
Quote from: Fork on January 07, 2011, 10:00:13 AM

As Chuck pointed out in the Shoutbox, based upon how Cubs' "top prospects" have panned out, that might be one very small boat.

Fork just paraphrased Chuck from the Shoutbox. Is anybody keeping score?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #413 on: January 07, 2011, 10:06:51 AM »

I've already stated that I love this trade and have purchased both home and away Matt Garza jerseys, but just because Bobby Hill sucked doesn't mean that all future Cubs prospects will. 

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #414 on: January 07, 2011, 10:09:09 AM »
Quote from: Eli on January 07, 2011, 10:06:51 AM

I've already stated that I love this trade and have purchased both home and away Matt Garza jerseys, but just because Bobby Hill sucked doesn't mean that all future Cubs prospects will. 

Corey Patterson will be Willie Mays any day now. Eric too.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #415 on: January 07, 2011, 10:11:37 AM »
Quote from: Fork on January 07, 2011, 10:09:09 AM
Quote from: Eli on January 07, 2011, 10:06:51 AM

Corey Patterson will be Willie Mays any day now. Eric too.

The Mets' verson of WIllie? I'll believe it when I see it.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #416 on: January 07, 2011, 10:14:39 AM »
After five minutes of thinking about it, I've decided that the trade is awesome and Matt Garza is going to win the Cy Young award, Archer will blow out his shoulder and Lee will blossom into a poor man's Rey Ordonez.  And who cares about trading Chirinos and AJ Guyton?

I know this is clearly sarcasm. In one way, I feel this way. Prospects are unknown talents. With Garza, the Cubs would know what they're getting (until he blows out his elbow in April). Lee plays the position of their current SS, but at the same time that's not to say there isn't room for both of them since the 2B spot has been so well manned lately.

The other side of me realizes that Garza doesn't make them a WS contender. It will make them a bit more likely to win the Central than before the trade, but unless the Cubs are fielding a team that they can say WILL win the Central next year with adding Garza, I don't see the sense in trading some of their best prospects.

Essentially, I can't say if I'll love or hate this trade, but I do know it won't be as bad as the WORST TREYD EVAR (DeRo).

fiveouts

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #417 on: January 07, 2011, 10:26:39 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on January 07, 2011, 10:14:39 AM

I know this is clearly sarcasm. In one way, I feel this way. Prospects are unknown talents. With Garza, the Cubs would know what they're getting (until he blows out his elbow in April). Lee plays the position of their current SS, but at the same time that's not to say there isn't room for both of them since the 2B spot has been so well manned lately.

The other side of me realizes that Garza doesn't make them a WS contender. It will make them a bit more likely to win the Central than before the trade, but unless the Cubs are fielding a team that they can say WILL win the Central next year with adding Garza, I don't see the sense in trading some of their best prospects.

Essentially, I can't say if I'll love or hate this trade, but I do know it won't be as bad as the WORST TREYD EVAR (DeRo).

If the worst happens, maybe this could be Hendry's "Kazmir for Victor Zambrano"...

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #418 on: January 07, 2011, 10:26:54 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on January 07, 2011, 10:14:39 AM

The whole this way?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #419 on: January 07, 2011, 10:40:14 AM »
QuoteThe Tampa Bay Rays and Chicago Cubs have agreed to a multi-player deal that will bring right-handed pitcher Matt Garza to Chicago, according to a major league source.

The deal, which has been agreed to pending physicals, sends right-handed pitcher Chris Archer, outfielder Brandon Guyer, catcher Robinson Chirinos, shortstop Hak-Ju Lee and outfielder Sam Fuld to Tampa for Garza, a minor-league pitcher and a minor-league outfielder.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT SAM FULD!!!!!!!!!!!!