News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2011 - 20?? Bears Offseason(s) Thread  ( 55,916 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2011 - 20?? Bears Offseason(s) Thread
« Reply #150 on: August 23, 2011, 11:50:19 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on August 23, 2011, 11:48:33 AM
Quote from: SKO on August 23, 2011, 11:33:37 AM
Quote from: Fork on August 22, 2011, 02:37:30 PM
Quote from: R-V on August 22, 2011, 12:42:39 PM
Biggsy takes a break from helping Tim Shaw pick out paint colors for his home theater to gather some interesting nuggets and tidbits from Football Outsiders, including one comparison that I'm fairly certain will make SKO's bowlcut-topped head explode.

QuoteAs far as Cutler goes, the research shows what you see is what you get. Football Outsiders projects him to pass for 3,555 yards this season with 22 touchdowns and 18 interceptions.

"Mechanically he has flaws that a player of his experience should have corrected by now and players who don't correct that by his age and his number of attempts don't correct them," Tanier said. "He's not going to stop throwing off of his back foot when he's rushed. He's not going to stop throwing into coverage in the middle of the field because those are mistakes you correct in your second year or third year."

Who does Cutler compare to according to Football Outsiders?

"Jim Everett, a player who had a lot of success, threw for a lot of yards, had some playoff success, but couldn't overcome the sacks and couldn't overcome the mistakes," Tanier said. "When you take a lot of hits early in your career, your numbers start to go down a little more quickly."

From the book: "The similarities between the two quarterbacks are obvious: big arm, big stats, tendency to throw off the back foot, checkered-at-best reputation as a clubhouse personality."

Chris Cutler?

We've discussed the Cutler-Everett comparison in the shoutbox before. They're actually pretty similar in that Everett, too, was shit on for most of his career after 1989. I mean he played for the mid-90s Saints and Rams. Those teams were absolute garbage. If Cutler gets protection we will see if he can't improve. I also don't necessarily by the "guys don't improve at this stage of their career" argument. Possibly true, but Favre from 92-94 had some serious issues before Holmgren finally settled him down. No one remembers because he won three Superbowls, but Tom Brady's highest passer rating in his first three years as a starter was 86.5 and his highest YPA in that time was 6.9. Guys can improve when you improve the talent around them.

So Cutler is just as good as Tom Brady and Eli Manning?

Thanks for Eli Manning. Another notch against the "guys his age just don't improve" argument.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #151 on: August 24, 2011, 06:11:33 PM »
It's stupid how close Roy Williams is to being a hall of famer.

"Asked where Williams is at, in preparation for the season opener, Drake said, "Not where he needs to be, and he knows that.

"He and I have talked about that. And the good thing about it is, you got Johnny Knox who is fighting and working hard. And believe you and me, [Williams] also understands that Johnny is there, and Johnny is hungry, and Johnny wants his spot back. And if things don't start changing, then Johnny is going to be in there. Heard it straight from the horse's mouth."

Williams said earlier Wednesday that he was being sarcastic about his comments from last week regarding his physical fitness. But Drake didn't debunk the notion that Williams still isn't in game shape.

"I understand that Roy's got some things to do, as far as getting in shape, but that's not my fault, and that's not my concern," Drake said. "My concern is making sure, when we play Atlanta, we got the best guys out there, that is going to give us the best chance to win. And if Johnny Knox is that guy, then he needs to be out there.""

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #152 on: August 27, 2011, 08:23:08 AM »
RV STICKPOKE!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0827-bits-bears-chicago--20110827,0,3781327.story

QuoteSpecial stuff: The Bears' short-sighted release of special teams stalwart Tim Shaw at final cuts a year ago looks worse now.

Shaw was let go when the team trimmed to 53 and the Bears kept Hunter Hillenmeyer knowing the veteran with a history of concussions was coming off another head injury in preseason. Hillenmeyer lasted one game and the club was forced to bring in Rod Wilson, a player who knew the system but didn't match Shaw's capabilities on special teams a year after he set a franchise record with 30 tackles.

Now, the Bears aren't certain what kind of help they have for Dave Toub at linebacker and in the secondary and it won't be surprising if the club makes a waiver move at final cuts to bring in some help. Shaw, who the Titans scooped up on waivers last September, led them with 20 special teams tackles.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #153 on: August 27, 2011, 10:21:18 AM »
Quote from: CT III on August 27, 2011, 08:23:08 AM
RV STICKPOKE!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0827-bits-bears-chicago--20110827,0,3781327.story

QuoteSpecial stuff: The Bears' short-sighted release of special teams stalwart Tim Shaw at final cuts a year ago looks worse now.

Shaw was let go when the team trimmed to 53 and the Bears kept Hunter Hillenmeyer knowing the veteran with a history of concussions was coming off another head injury in preseason. Hillenmeyer lasted one game and the club was forced to bring in Rod Wilson, a player who knew the system but didn't match Shaw's capabilities on special teams a year after he set a franchise record with 30 tackles.

Now, the Bears aren't certain what kind of help they have for Dave Toub at linebacker and in the secondary and it won't be surprising if the club makes a waiver move at final cuts to bring in some help. Shaw, who the Titans scooped up on waivers last September, led them with 20 special teams tackles.

RIGHT THAT WRONG!
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #154 on: August 27, 2011, 10:24:25 AM »
RV STICKPOKE!

YOUVE GOTTA BE FUCKING KIDDING ME.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #155 on: August 27, 2011, 02:56:59 PM »
THE BEARS SPECIAL TEAMS ARE IN CRISIS DAMMIT SAM HURDS IN A WALKING BOOT DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #156 on: August 27, 2011, 09:54:39 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 27, 2011, 10:24:25 AM
RV STICKPOKE!

Biggsy has to change his pants after that TIMSHAW almost-interception in the dying seconds here.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #157 on: August 28, 2011, 06:49:10 AM »
"I missed most of the Bears game Monday night and when I finally had a chance to tune in, the game was well out of reach. I did see the highlights and I will say that was awful to say the least. Then again, this is what we should expect from the Bears: Shitty defense in terms of the secondary and a horrendous offense led by the genius Mike Martz. I saw this shit last presason so it isn't anything new. When they play the Titans on Saturday, I think it's going to be just as ugly. Just imagine how bad it's going to be when the regular season starts. For the stat idiots out there, don't waste your time here about how the Bears almost went to the Super Bowl last year. They go 11-5 yet played like a an 8-8 team. I'd rather have a team go 8-8, barely get into the playoffs and eventually win the Super Bowl than the same team going 11-5 and showing how shitty they really are when it matters the most. Enough of that though."

Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #158 on: August 28, 2011, 02:17:33 PM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on August 28, 2011, 06:49:10 AM
"I missed most of the Bears game Monday night and when I finally had a chance to tune in, the game was well out of reach. I did see the highlights and I will say that was awful to say the least. Then again, this is what we should expect from the Bears: Shitty defense in terms of the secondary and a horrendous offense led by the genius Mike Martz. I saw this shit last presason so it isn't anything new. When they play the Titans on Saturday, I think it's going to be just as ugly. Just imagine how bad it's going to be when the regular season starts. For the stat idiots out there, don't waste your time here about how the Bears almost went to the Super Bowl last year. They go 11-5 yet played like a an 8-8 team. I'd rather have a team go 8-8, barely get into the playoffs and eventually win the Super Bowl than the same team going 11-5 and showing how shitty they really are when it matters the most. Enough of that though."

Yeah, faggots. Fro would rather have a team that wins the Superbowl than a team that doesn't, unlike you and your stats.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #159 on: August 28, 2011, 03:01:12 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 28, 2011, 02:17:33 PM
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on August 28, 2011, 06:49:10 AM

Yeah, faggots. Fro would rather have a team that wins the Superbowl than a team that doesn't, unlike you and your stats.

My dream is for my Bears to go 1-15 and win the super bowl. Until that happens, I won't be satisfied.

BBM

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #160 on: August 28, 2011, 05:15:02 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on August 27, 2011, 02:56:59 PM
THE BEARS SPECIAL TEAMS ARE IN CRISIS DAMMIT SAM HURDS IN A WALKING BOOT DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

DAT GUY AIN'T NO MIKE H...DAVE SANSABELTER MY FRENT.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #161 on: August 28, 2011, 05:50:57 PM »
Quote from: BBM on August 28, 2011, 05:15:02 PM

DAT'S SANZENBASHNAGEL YA IDJIT!

I apologize.  After some contemplation, it's become clear to me that SANSABELTER is a completely awesome nickname.

BBM

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #162 on: August 29, 2011, 08:19:17 AM »
Quote from: CT III on August 28, 2011, 05:50:57 PM

I apologize.  After some contemplation, it's become clear to me that SANSABELTER is a completely awesome nickname.

Jamal "Barbados Slim" Mayers agrees.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #163 on: August 29, 2011, 08:54:19 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 27, 2011, 10:24:25 AM
RV STICKPOKE!

Oh for fuck's sake. I was unable to watch/follow the game on Saturday. Was Biggsy able to make it out of the press box what with being weighed down by his trousers full of sperm?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #164 on: August 29, 2011, 09:08:01 AM »
Quote from: BBM on August 29, 2011, 08:19:17 AM
Quote from: CT III on August 28, 2011, 05:50:57 PM

Jamal "Barbados Slim" Mayers agrees.

Get to work on Sean O'Donnell.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16