News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2011 - 20?? Bears Offseason(s) Thread  ( 55,880 )

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2011 - 20?? Bears Offseason(s) Thread
« Reply #270 on: January 16, 2013, 02:46:55 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 16, 2013, 02:45:54 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on January 16, 2013, 02:32:41 PM
Quote from: SKO on January 16, 2013, 01:40:43 PM
Trestman was brought in to give the team a real, competitive offense. Phil Emery obviously thinks the quickest way to do that is by fixing Cutler. Emery's made several comments about the offensive line being the biggest issue and vowing to fix it, so if he fixes that and Trestman can get a good year out of Cutler, that's what they'll do.

If he doesn't, I don't think Emery or Trestman will bring back Cutler in 2014. They've simply decided that in 2013, Cutler is their guy, and they'll do the smartest thing by doing whatever they can to help him succeed. That doesn't mean they can't move on if it fails, or that Trestman will suck if he can't fix Cutler. He'll be given the chance to get his own guy right, then too.

So basically, "What Pen and Pex" said.

You can just copy/paste our posts onto your blog if you want.
Apex wrote for my blog once. He said Devin Hester would have ten touchdowns in one year and was never heard from again.

I got the year wrong. Typos can't be tolerated so I self-banned myself.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #271 on: January 16, 2013, 02:59:27 PM »
I also dig that Phil Emery is clearly in charge of this franchise and has some serious balls. There's no way Jerry Angelo takes a chance on a guy like Trestman, knowing it could cost him his career if it fails. Whether he's right or wrong, his first priority is clearly the team and not his own job security. I admire that.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #272 on: January 16, 2013, 03:11:44 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on January 16, 2013, 10:45:42 AM
Quote from: Armchair_QB on January 16, 2013, 10:36:52 AM
Trestman's offense also works better when it doesn't have five turnstyles on the offensive line. They've still got to address that issue.

And once they do that I can get to work on my Hester Projections for 2013.

Does the Unemployment Office keep stats like that?
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #273 on: January 16, 2013, 03:13:19 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 16, 2013, 02:59:27 PM
There's no way Jerry Angelo takes a chance on a guy like Trestman, knowing it could cost him his career if it fails.

So, he went with Lovie Smith.  Who cost him his career because it failed.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #274 on: January 16, 2013, 03:17:08 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 16, 2013, 03:13:19 PM
There's no way Jerry Angelo takes a chance on a guy like Trestman, knowing it could cost him his career if it fails.

No, Chuck.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #275 on: January 16, 2013, 03:30:40 PM »

That makes absolutely zero fucking sense, even for you. If Jerry Angelo got fired because Lovie Smith failed, don't you think they'd have fired Lovie first? Jerry Angelo got fired because he couldn't draft to save his life. I'm not even sure why I'm taking the bait here.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #276 on: January 16, 2013, 03:33:15 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 16, 2013, 03:30:40 PM

So, he went with Lovie Smith.  Who cost him his career because it failed.

That makes absolutely zero fucking sense, even for you. If Jerry Angelo got fired because Lovie Smith failed, don't you think they'd have fired Lovie first? Jerry Angelo got fired because he couldn't draft to save his life. I'm not even sure why I'm taking the bait here.

DPD. And Lovie was a considerably safer pick, as the DC of a team that was one of the most successful in the NFL at the time, who had also served on the staff of the Buccaneers, the dominant defensive team of the previous decade. Angelo also had to hire Lovie after the McCaskey's top two choices, Ferentz and Saban, said no. Angelo was never inextricably tied to Lovie, obviously, since they fired them seperately.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #279 on: January 16, 2013, 10:41:30 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on January 16, 2013, 11:48:36 AM
THOSE THAT DIDN'T

No Mitch Webster pics on the internet?
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #280 on: January 16, 2013, 11:52:27 PM »

8=====D~~ ~~ ~

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #281 on: January 17, 2013, 08:43:26 AM »
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/17/rod-marinelli-could-be-leaving-chicago/

QuoteAccording to Mark Potash of the Chicago Sun-Times, Marinelli could opt for a "fresh start" out of loyalty to Smith. Trestman is expected to meet with Marinelli and other members of Smith's staff on Thursday to decide who he wants to keep.

Per Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com, "signs point" to Marinelli leaving the Bears.

It would be a big blow to a Bears defense that was among the league's best all season. Chicago finished the season as the fifth-ranked defense and led the league with 44 turnovers.

According to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune, Dallas Cowboys new defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin is hopeful to get Marinelli to join his staff in Dallas.

So, with a year left on his contract, he's "likely" to leave a team that wants him to stay, for a demotion to LB coach, out of a sense of loyalty to a man who's probably taking 2013 off himself?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #282 on: January 17, 2013, 09:07:33 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on January 17, 2013, 08:43:26 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/17/rod-marinelli-could-be-leaving-chicago/

QuoteAccording to Mark Potash of the Chicago Sun-Times, Marinelli could opt for a "fresh start" out of loyalty to Smith. Trestman is expected to meet with Marinelli and other members of Smith's staff on Thursday to decide who he wants to keep.

Per Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com, "signs point" to Marinelli leaving the Bears.

It would be a big blow to a Bears defense that was among the league's best all season. Chicago finished the season as the fifth-ranked defense and led the league with 44 turnovers.

According to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune, Dallas Cowboys new defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin is hopeful to get Marinelli to join his staff in Dallas.

So, with a year left on his contract, he's "likely" to leave a team that wants him to stay, for a demotion to LB coach, out of a sense of loyalty to a man who's probably taking 2013 off himself?

Yeah, I don't see why the Bears can't just say "well, fuck that. You're under contract." What's he going to do, tell the defense to play bad?

Intrepid Reader Fro Dog: They don't need his help to do that!
Intrepid Reader BC: Especially Tillman!

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #283 on: January 17, 2013, 09:12:34 AM »

It would be a convenient alibi in case Trestman decides not to keep him. They could mutually part ways and who cares what Marinelli says about the reason behind it. Marinelli has to know that they would keep him for one "transition" year, running essentially Smith and Marinelli's system while Emstink and Trestman decide what defense they will ultimately run - meanwhile letting go as many players drafted for the old system as possible to make room for new dudes. So this isn't as clear as choosing a coordinator position over an opportunity elsewhere. Marinelli is one of the most respected defensive position coaches in the game from all I've heard. His stock is higher now than it was after Lovie picked him up off the Detroit scrap heap. He should go where he's wanted unless he really likes coaching these players and being treated like a pariah by the new regime.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #284 on: January 17, 2013, 09:25:38 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on January 17, 2013, 09:12:34 AM

It would be a convenient alibi in case Trestman decides not to keep him. They could mutually part ways and who cares what Marinelli says about the reason behind it. Marinelli has to know that they would keep him for one "transition" year, running essentially Smith and Marinelli's system while Emstink and Trestman decide what defense they will ultimately run - meanwhile letting go as many players drafted for the old system as possible to make room for new dudes. So this isn't as clear as choosing a coordinator position over an opportunity elsewhere. Marinelli is one of the most respected defensive position coaches in the game from all I've heard. His stock is higher now than it was after Lovie picked him up off the Detroit scrap heap. He should go where he's wanted unless he really likes coaching these players and being treated like a pariah by the new regime.

Except Emery supposedly asked every candidate if they were open to keeping Marinelli before he hired them because he also respects Marinelli and wants to keep him and never had a problem with Lovie's schemes or his defense and has been part of organizations that run 4-3 defenses every year except for a brief stint in Kansas City. I don't think he has even the slightest intention of dumping players to build a new scheme.

If you consider that Henry Melton is a rising star, Wootton, McClellin, Paea, and Collins made up one of the youngest and deepest D-Lines in football, Major Wright, terrible hands aside, was one of the best run-supporting safeties in the NFL, Tim Jennings had an All-Pro year, there's absolutely no reason to think this defense is supposedly in need of the complete rebuild people've been predicting for years. They already decreased their dependency on Urlacher, Peppers played the fewest snaps of his Bears career this year...this a Cover 2 team all over and I don't think Emery's changing that. He's not stupid.

So if Marinelli's leaving it's a total butthurt move over Lovie, and that's it. There's a reason Trestman had his offensive and ST guys hired before he even officially had the job and there's been not even a hint of discussion over defensive candidates. They plan on Marinelli as their guy.