News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: What the Bears (and fans) can REALLY learn from the Packers  ( 11,069 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
What the Bears (and fans) can REALLY learn from the Packers
« on: February 08, 2011, 09:01:31 AM »
I won't bother linking to the inane columns describing how far the Bears are from the Packers, when, in fact, the Bears were probably one roughing the passer penalty away from tying the Packers, and possibly winning the NFC Championship. This all said, there are a few things to learn from Green Bay...

1) Stability counts. Yes, Aaron Rodgers and the Packers' offense are a well-oiled machine, even with a forgettable running game. Does it have to do with the fact that Mike McCarthy and his offensive staff have been largely intact since 2006, Rodgers' second year in the league? Cutler, meanwhile, broke into the NFL in 2006, became a starter in 2007. After two years with Mike Shanahan, he had a year with Ron Turner, followed by a year with Mike Martz. Of course, the meatballs all want to run Martz out on a rail now, too. Just to throw another example out there, Rex Grossman
2) F-you meatballs. Ted Thompson's first name was "Fucking" to 95% of the population of Wisconsin at some point in his tenure. Obviously, the big one was his decision to run Favre off, which inspired meatballism that not even Chicago fans have been driven to. (How many Hawks fans ran into the Red Wings' arms when Chelios was dealt to Detroit? How many Cubs fans are now Phillies Phans because Ryne Sandberg is managing the AAA affiliate? Similarly, maybe the meatballs can just shut the fuck up and let Jerry Angelo make the unpopular decisions, even if it means Caleb Hainie winds up playing elsewhere (truthfully, Hainie's value will never be higher than it is right now).
3) Weaknesses can disappear quickly. Last year, Rodgers was sacked 50-plus times. I'm sure Chris Collinsworth and everyone else said how worthless he was. Truth is, he had a young line. Voila! This year, they weren't a liability. I wouldn't say the Packers were exactly "loaded" with receivers a couple of years ago either.
4) Strengths can turn into weaknesses quickly. We'll see how quickly the running game of Green Bay turns into a liability.

I think in short, No. 2. Fuck you, meatballs. The 1985 Bears aren't coming back. Dick Butkus never played in a playoff game. The Bears' success under Angelo/Lovie Smith compares well to any of the other Chicago teams and at least one (and allegedly two) have won world titles during this time. Angelo hasn't been a draft-day world-beater but he hasn't been Millenesque either.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: What the Bears (and fans) can REALLY learn from the Packers
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 09:08:20 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on February 08, 2011, 09:01:31 AM
3) Weaknesses can disappear quickly. Last year, Rodgers was sacked 50-plus times and still threw for 4,434 yards with 30 touchdowns and 7 interceptions

Details, details.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 09:09:56 AM »
I won't bother linking to the inane columns describing how far the Bears are from the Packers, when, in fact, the Bears were probably one roughing the passer penalty away from tying the Packers, and possibly winning the NFC Championship. This all said, there are a few things to learn from Green Bay...

1) Stability counts. Yes, Aaron Rodgers and the Packers' offense are a well-oiled machine, even with a forgettable running game. Does it have to do with the fact that Mike McCarthy and his offensive staff have been largely intact since 2006, Rodgers' second year in the league? Cutler, meanwhile, broke into the NFL in 2006, became a starter in 2007. After two years with Mike Shanahan, he had a year with Ron Turner, followed by a year with Mike Martz. Of course, the meatballs all want to run Martz out on a rail now, too. Just to throw another example out there, Rex Grossman
2) F-you meatballs. Ted Thompson's first name was "Fucking" to 95% of the population of Wisconsin at some point in his tenure. Obviously, the big one was his decision to run Favre off, which inspired meatballism that not even Chicago fans have been driven to. (How many Hawks fans ran into the Red Wings' arms when Chelios was dealt to Detroit? How many Cubs fans are now Phillies Phans because Ryne Sandberg is managing the AAA affiliate? Similarly, maybe the meatballs can just shut the fuck up and let Jerry Angelo make the unpopular decisions, even if it means Caleb Hainie winds up playing elsewhere (truthfully, Hainie's value will never be higher than it is right now).
3) Weaknesses can disappear quickly. Last year, Rodgers was sacked 50-plus times. I'm sure Chris Collinsworth and everyone else said how worthless he was. Truth is, he had a young line. Voila! This year, they weren't a liability. I wouldn't say the Packers were exactly "loaded" with receivers a couple of years ago either.
4) Strengths can turn into weaknesses quickly. We'll see how quickly the running game of Green Bay turns into a liability.

I think in short, No. 2. Fuck you, meatballs. The 1985 Bears aren't coming back. Dick Butkus never played in a playoff game. The Bears' success under Angelo/Lovie Smith compares well to any of the other Chicago teams and at least one (and allegedly two) have won world titles during this time. Angelo hasn't been a draft-day world-beater but he hasn't been Millenesque either.

I won't stand for any Angelo apologism. I just won't. Everything else you said = THI
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 09:17:49 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on February 08, 2011, 09:09:56 AM

I won't stand for any Angelo apologism. I just won't. Everything else you said = THI

I think he's been pretty close to Millenesque too. But yeah, the rest of it was pretty spot on, TJ.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 09:25:23 AM »
Quote from: Tony on February 08, 2011, 09:17:49 AM

I think he's been pretty close to Millenesque too. But yeah, the rest of it was pretty spot on, TJ.

I won't go there. Hendry-esque, let's say. He's better than Mark Hatley too. Just heard on the score that Chester Taylor is getting cut. Money was sunk on he and that fat turd Manu while only a 7th-round draft pick was added to the smoldering shit pile of an O-Line.

*Waits for it*
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 09:36:20 AM »

Angelo is certainly not an elite GM, but he isn't anywhere near Millenesque.

As far TJ's post I think #2 and #1 go hand in hand. If they say F the meatballs, the stability will be there.

BBM

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 10:04:21 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on February 08, 2011, 09:25:23 AM

I won't go there. Hendry-esque, let's say. He's better than Mark Hatley too. Just heard on the score that Chester Taylor is getting cut. Money was sunk on he and that fat turd Manu while only a 7th-round draft pick was added to the smoldering shit pile of an O-Line.

*Waits for it*

WAIT DER NOT GETTIN RID OF DAT DER CUTLER GUY?  DIS TEAM IS FOOKED.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 10:09:36 AM »
Quote from: BBM on February 08, 2011, 10:04:21 AM

*Waits for it*

WAIT DER NOT GETTIN RID OF DAT DER CUTLER GUY?  DIS TEAM IS FOOKED.

There are Scouse meatballs?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 10:10:23 AM »
Quote from: Eli on February 08, 2011, 09:08:20 AM
3) Weaknesses can disappear quickly. Last year, Rodgers was sacked 50-plus times and still threw for 4,434 yards with 30 touchdowns and 7 interceptions

Details, details.

But he was sacked 50-times. Rodgers wasn't the weakness, but shitty pass protection creates some issues. Remember how the Packers' season ended last year?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 10:20:17 AM »

*Waits for it*

(||)

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 10:29:22 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on February 08, 2011, 10:10:23 AM

Details, details.

But he was sacked 50-times. Rodgers wasn't the weakness, but shitty pass protection creates some issues. Remember how the Packers' season ended last year?

Not really, but a I bet TEC does.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 10:35:06 AM »
Quote from: CT III on February 08, 2011, 10:29:22 AM

Details, details.

Pretty sure the Packers defense played a bigger role in that loss than the one play to end the game.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 10:49:39 AM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on February 08, 2011, 09:36:20 AM

Angelo is certainly not an elite GM, but he isn't anywhere near Millenesque.

As far TJ's post I think #2 and #1 go hand in hand. If they say F the meatballs, the stability will be there.

Maybe Millenesque is  going too far, but Dan Bazuin....DAN BAZUIN!

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 10:55:02 AM »
I won't stand for any Angelo apologism.

You should sit down then.

Angelo's made some head-scratching decisions but, on balance, I don't think he's as bad as some people characterize.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
Quote from: PenPho on February 08, 2011, 10:35:06 AM
Quote from: CT III on February 08, 2011, 10:29:22 AM

Details, details.

Pretty sure the Packers defense played a bigger role in that loss than the one play to end the game.

Yes, true. The defense played an even bigger role than the shitty-pass protection. DOOOOOM for the Packers, who were SO FAR AWAY from the CLASS OF THE NFC, New Orleans and Minnesota.