News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Steve Stone on Fairness  ( 6,459 )

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Steve Stone on Fairness
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 07:59:18 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on May 18, 2012, 05:21:18 PM
Quote from: Eli on May 18, 2012, 05:20:27 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on May 18, 2012, 05:12:30 PM
Steve is telling his #1 fan Bernstein how he told MacPhail to trade Wood but he didn't listen. WHY WON'T SOMEONE HIRE STONEY AS A GM?!?! The Cubs would've won ten World Series by now! Baseball genius!

Trade Wood for whom?

Two high-level prospects?

Hak Ju Lee and Chris Archer.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 09:56:35 PM »
I'm starting to get the feeling that every last member of the Chicago media other than Bruce Miles and Len Kasper are members of some sort of elaborate conspiracy, the sole purpose of which is to drive Desipiots insane.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 04:17:05 PM »
Stone said he was the happiest guy around when he saw the fearsome Darwin Barney wasn't in the lineup today because he's such a tough out.

.277/.327/.401

Terrifying.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 05:28:22 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on May 20, 2012, 04:17:05 PM
Stone said he was the happiest guy around when he saw the fearsome Darwin Barney wasn't in the lineup today because he's such a tough out.

.277/.327/.401

Terrifying.

Not to defend Steve Stone (Fuck You) but Barney's got the 4th best OBP and 5th best OPS of the regulars. 

So relative to the Cubs lineup...

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 06:22:10 PM »
Quote from: CT III on May 20, 2012, 05:28:22 PM

.277/.327/.401

Terrifying.

Not to defend Steve Stone (Fuck You) but Barney's got the 4th best OBP and 5th best OPS of the regulars. 

He's always wanted to be the tallest midget.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 08:24:02 AM »

.277/.327/.401

Terrifying.

He's basically been the best player on the team not named Starlin or Bryan.

Again, this is relative.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 09:23:07 AM »
Quote from: Eli on May 21, 2012, 08:24:02 AM

.277/.327/.401

Terrifying.

Again, this is relative.

DeJesus hasn't been abysmal.

Other than that we're finally seeing the offense regress from average to bad.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 11:44:22 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 21, 2012, 09:23:07 AM

.277/.327/.401

Terrifying.

Again, this is relative.

It was fun to be average for a week or two. Baseball was kind of fun to watch. My god, the bar is set pretty fucking low these days.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2012, 12:48:09 PM »
Quote from: Tony on May 21, 2012, 11:44:22 AM
Quote from: Slaky on May 21, 2012, 09:23:07 AM

.277/.327/.401

Terrifying.

Again, this is relative.

It was fun to be average for a week or two. Baseball was kind of fun to watch. My god, the bar is set pretty fucking low these days.

Yeah, THIS.  I actually caught myself enjoying the Cubs again.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2012, 03:30:56 PM »
Well, it looks like Steve Stone is "pretty sure" he'll be back in the White Sox booth next year. He was "pretty sure" he'd be sitting where Bob Brenly sat on Opening Day 2005, too.

Turns out he doesn't like Hawk.

Quote"When you have any type of partner in any business, you're going to have some periods where things are really good, some periods where they're not so good, some periods where things are frustrating, some periods where they're exhilarating. I think a baseball season is like that. I think late in the season, you just realize it's a roller coaster, and it's not just a roller coaster for the baseball team. It's a roller coaster for all of us who follow it that closely on a daily basis."

The talk has been that Stone grows weary of Harrelson's antics and doesn't appreciate when he shuts down if the White Sox are playing poorly. While Stone said Harrelson is one of the biggest White Sox fans on the planet, he admitted it is at times difficult to handle.

"He is associated with White Sox baseball maybe like nobody else has for quite some time," Stone said. "They realize that he might be the ultimate fan. So, when things aren't going well for the team, he gets grumpy. Grumpier than the normal person would get who would be doing that particular job. ... For those of us who don't have those phenomenal highs and exceptional lows, it become a little bit difficult at times to relate."

Speaking of Borb, the D-backs will make a run at him. Speaking of the D-backs, they'll make a run at Stone as well.

The Hawk-Bill Melton combination on TV next year will be SCINTILLATING!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2012, 07:07:08 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 08, 2012, 03:30:56 PM
Well, it looks like Steve Stone is "pretty sure" he'll be back in the White Sox booth next year. He was "pretty sure" he'd be sitting where Bob Brenly sat on Opening Day 2005, too.

Quote"When you have any type of partner in any business, you're going to have some periods where things are really good, some periods where they're not so good, some periods where things are frustrating, some periods where they're exhilarating. I think a baseball season is like that. I think late in the season, you just realize it's a roller coaster, and it's not just a roller coaster for the baseball team. It's a roller coaster for all of us who follow it that closely on a daily basis."

The talk has been that Stone grows weary of Harrelson's antics and doesn't appreciate when he shuts down if the White Sox are playing poorly. While Stone said Harrelson is one of the biggest White Sox fans on the planet, he admitted it is at times difficult to handle.

"He is associated with White Sox baseball maybe like nobody else has for quite some time," Stone said. "They realize that he might be the ultimate fan. So, when things aren't going well for the team, he gets grumpy. Grumpier than the normal person would get who would be doing that particular job. ... For those of us who don't have those phenomenal highs and exceptional lows, it become a little bit difficult at times to relate."

Speaking of Borb, the D-backs will make a run at him. Speaking of the D-backs, they'll make a run at Stone as well.

The White Sox should really be forcing Hawk out. But since he can do no wrong, enjoy him until he dies, South Siders!

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2012, 08:00:34 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 08, 2012, 07:07:08 PM

The White Sox should really be forcing Hawk out. But since he can do no wrong, enjoy him until he dies, South Siders!

I think most of them do enjoy him. What's annoying is when they compare him to Harry Caray or Santo. Caray was nationally beloved - of course some people hated him but not many. Santo was a color analyst and so while annoying and pretty useless he wasn't calling the play by play. And when the Cubs did something terrible he was the opposite of Hawk and screamed and hollered openly instead of curling up into a ball of silence.

Hawk sucks. The entire country thinks he sucks. But Sox fans, who are a really strange group of people, like him, generally speaking. He'll be around until he dies.

What they should and can fix is their radio team. Two analysts do not a good listen make. Neither are good at either job but the least they can do is bring in a professional play by play guy on that side. I'd argue the radio feed is exponentially more unlistenable than TV.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2012, 08:33:37 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 08, 2012, 08:00:34 PM
Hawk sucks. The entire country thinks he sucks...

Related.

Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2012, 08:39:01 PM »
Hawk sucks. The entire country thinks he sucks. But Sox fans, who are a really strange group of people, like him, generally speaking. He'll be around until he dies.
It's also a small fan base.  A very brilliant way to appeal to people who are not fans of your product is to have the voice of that product drive you away in droves.

What they should and can fix is their radio team. Two analysts do not a good listen make. Neither are good at either job but the least they can do is bring in a professional play by play guy on that side. I'd argue the radio feed is exponentially more unlistenable than TV.
Only because Hawk shuts up half the time.  Were he to talk as much as Farmer and... who is it?  Henry Cotto? The TV would be just as bad if not worse.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2012, 09:15:16 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 08, 2012, 07:07:08 PM

I think most of them do enjoy him. What's annoying is when they compare him to Harry Caray or Santo. Caray was nationally beloved - of course some people hated him but not many. Santo was a color analyst and so while annoying and pretty useless he wasn't calling the play by play. And when the Cubs did something terrible he was the opposite of Hawk and screamed and hollered openly instead of curling up into a ball of silence.

The radio guys, wow do they suck. Boring, incomplete descriptions, pointless inside jokes, garden variety analysis. It doesn't even matter which does PxP. They're both lousy. They're also more easily avoided than Hawk though.