News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Week 12: Oakland, the Detroit of the West.  ( 8,726 )

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Week 12: Oakland, the Detroit of the West.
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 07:09:05 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on November 27, 2011, 05:11:58 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 27, 2011, 04:50:52 PM
Quote from: Slaky on November 27, 2011, 04:45:47 PM
Quote from: BC on November 27, 2011, 04:37:46 PM
Really hated the play call that led to the interception. The Bears simply should've been playing for a field goal and the lead there to add to Hanie and the offense's confidence. Instead, they call a way too cute backside screen and disaster happens. Just a terrible play call.

Because it didn't work.

I'm inclined to agree with BC on this one. That seemed like an asinine play call in that situation for a QB in his first NFL start who'd already thrown a pair of INTs in the half. After the fact, of course. But still...

And those officials! Pee-you!

So you didn't think that asking Hanie to blindly throw back across his body into the teeth of a screen on 2nd and 1 inside the red zone in a 9-7 game (after he had already thrown two interceptions earlier in the half) was a questionable decision (and utterly typical of Mike Martz's trademark trying-too-hard)?

I'm not trying to excuse Hanie of blame by any means. He threw that ball. But that was just an unnecessary call in that situation.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

BBM

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 07:16:06 PM »
DEY WOOD DA WON IF THEY HAD PLAYED ONE OF DEM MCNOWN OR ENTERLY GUYS MY FRENT.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 07:38:07 PM »
Offense: Caleb Hanie was terrible throughout the game. He threw two interceptions early and it set the tone for the game. I believe it was the second drive, Hanie ran about 12 yards for a first down. Then, Tyler fucking Clutts gets called for an unsportsmanlike penalty that pushes the Bears back. Why are some of these players so fucking stupid? Then when it looked like he was getting in a groove, Mike Martz fucks everything up when the Bears had a 2nd and 1 in the red zone by having Hanie run a play that Cutler has tried to run to no success. I don't even know what the play is called but it involves the quarterback running to one side of the field and then trying to throw it across to the other side. STOP RUNNING THAT PLAY. IT NEVER WORKS YOU STUPID FUCK. That play in my opinion decided this game. But just to make matters worse, instead of just spiking the ball, Hanie thinks he can just wait a few seconds and then throw the ball into the ground. FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! It also didn't help that the running game couldn't really get going. Also, Johnny Knox and Matt Forte each dropped a couple passes. HANG ON TO THE FUCKING BALL.

Defense: I do not care if the Bears' defense forced the Raiders to kick six field goals. The fact that they gave up huge plays all day that lead to those field goals are unacceptable. Then on the drive that the Raiders scored a touchdown on, Tim Jennings was beat terribly on a 47 yard reception by Lewis fucking Murphy that eventually lead to that score.

Special Teams: Robbie Gould hit two field goals. That was about it. Also, why in every fucking game is there at least one holding or illegal block in the back penalty by the Bears' special teams?  Chris fucking Steltz was called for one today. STOP DOING THAT. You have to give credit to Raiders' punted Shane Lechler and kicker Sebastian Janikowski. The Bears had shitty field position all day and Hester couldn't do shit.

Here are the Bears sitting at 7-4 with the Chiefs coming up next week at home. Not counting the eventual loss against the Packers on Christmas Day, the Bears must win three out of the four games they have to make the playoffs. I no longer will be counting on that but rather, rooting for the teams that are competing for a Wild Card spot to lose. However we put it, Caleb Hanie is the only option for the Bears. Now, I don't feel so good.

Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 07:51:26 PM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on November 27, 2011, 07:38:07 PM
Defense: I do not care if the Bears' defense forced the Raiders to kick six field goals. The fact that they gave up huge plays all day that lead to those field goals are unacceptable. Then on the drive that the Raiders scored a touchdown on, Tim Jennings was beat terribly on a 47 yard reception by Lewis fucking Murphy that eventually lead to that score.

Jennings also just flat out dropped a ready-made interception. Someone else also could've had an INT, albeit on a harder to catch ball, but they couldn't come up with the pick.
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
Offense: Caleb Hanie was terrible throughout the game. He threw two interceptions early and it set the tone for the game. I believe it was the second drive, Hanie ran about 12 yards for a first down. Then, Tyler fucking Clutts gets called for an unsportsmanlike penalty that pushes the Bears back. Why are some of these players so fucking stupid? Then when it looked like he was getting in a groove, Mike Martz fucks everything up when the Bears had a 2nd and 1 in the red zone by having Hanie run a play that Cutler has tried to run to no success. I don't even know what the play is called but it involves the quarterback running to one side of the field and then trying to throw it across to the other side. STOP RUNNING THAT PLAY. IT NEVER WORKS YOU STUPID FUCK. That play in my opinion decided this game. But just to make matters worse, instead of just spiking the ball, Hanie thinks he can just wait a few seconds and then throw the ball into the ground. FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! It also didn't help that the running game couldn't really get going. Also, Johnny Knox and Matt Forte each dropped a couple passes. HANG ON TO THE FUCKING BALL.

Special Teams: Robbie Gould hit two field goals. That was about it. Also, why in every fucking game is there at least one holding or illegal block in the back penalty by the Bears' special teams?  Chris fucking Steltz was called for one today. STOP DOING THAT. You have to give credit to Raiders' punted Shane Lechler and kicker Sebastian Janikowski. The Bears had shitty field position all day and Hester couldn't do shit.

Here are the Bears sitting at 7-4 with the Chiefs coming up next week at home. Not counting the eventual loss against the Packers on Christmas Day, the Bears must win three out of the four games they have to make the playoffs. I no longer will be counting on that but rather, rooting for the teams that are competing for a Wild Card spot to lose. However we put it, Caleb Hanie is the only option for the Bears. Now, I don't feel so good.

TL;DR

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 08:16:21 PM »
Anyone know the average starting field position for both teams? I checked 2 sources and got lazy. HELP

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 09:21:22 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on November 27, 2011, 07:58:00 PM

TL;DR

tl;dr Tim Jennings (Fuck you)

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 09:33:46 PM »
Quote from: Tollbooth Yeti on November 27, 2011, 08:16:21 PM
Anyone know the average starting field position for both teams? I checked 2 sources and got lazy. HELP

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore?gid=20111127013&page=drives

Bears      Raiders
CHI 18     OAK 29
CHI 23     OAK 25
CHI 16     CHI 31
CHI 18     OAK 43
CHI 3      50
CHI 26     OAK 20
OAK 35     OAK 21
CHI 20     OAK 20
CHI 17     OAK 34
CHI 18     OAK 38
CHI 20     OAK 20
CHI 16     OAK 26
CHI 4      OAK 46

By my reckoning, that'd work out to...

Mean
CHI 20.3
OAK 33.9

Median
CHI 18
OAK 29

HumbleJerry

• Wallet Inspector
  • Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 11:21:06 PM »
I'm pretty sure the official definition of intentional grounding involves a QB intentionally throwing an incomplete pass to avoid a sack.  Which means that it was a horseshit call.  Another good game by the O-Line.  That play before the half was just atrocious.  But we have the fighting Ortons and fighting Tebows on the docket next.  I'll only be worried if we have to win in Minnesota in week 17.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 11:39:59 PM »
Quote from: HumbleJerry on November 27, 2011, 11:21:06 PM
I'm pretty sure the official definition of intentional grounding involves a QB intentionally throwing an incomplete pass to avoid a sack.  Which means that it was a horseshit call.  Another good game by the O-Line.  That play before the half was just atrocious.  But we have the fighting Ortons and fighting Tebows on the docket next.  I'll only be worried if we have to win in Minnesota in week 17.

To stop the clock, you have to spike it immediately after the snap.  Not take the snap, take a few steps back, look around the field, then finally spike it.  Otherwise you're forcing officials to make judgment calls whether he meant to spike or ground it.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 12:34:12 AM »
Quote from: HumbleJerry on November 27, 2011, 11:21:06 PM
I'm pretty sure the official definition of intentional grounding involves a QB intentionally throwing an incomplete pass to avoid a sack.  Which means that it was a horseshit call.  Another good game by the O-Line.  That play before the half was just atrocious.  But we have the fighting Ortons and fighting Tebows on the docket next.  I'll only be worried if we have to win in Minnesota in week 17.

http://www.blogandtackle.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/2011NFLRuleBook.pdf

Rule 8, Section 2, Article 1, Items 3 and 4 (see page 46)...

QuoteSection 2 Intentional Grounding

DEFINITION

Article 1 Definition. It is a foul for intentional grounding if a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage because of pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion. A realistic chance of completion is defined as a pass that lands in the direction and the vicinity of an originally eligible receiver.

Item 1:  Passer or Ball Outside Tackle Position. Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, who is outside, or has been outside, the tackle position throws a forward pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s) have a realistic chance to catch the ball (including when the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or endline). If a loose ball leaves the area bordered by the tackles, this area no longer exists; if the ball is recovered, all  intentional grounding rules apply as if the passer is outside this area.

Item 2: Physical Contact. Intentional grounding should not be called if:

(a) the passer initiates his passing motion toward an eligible receiver and then is significantly affected by physical contact from a defensive player that causes the pass to land in an area that is not in the direction and vicinity of an eligible receiver; or

(b) the passer is out of the pocket, and his passing motion is significantly affected by physical contact from a defensive player that causes the ball to land short of the line of scrimmage.

Item 3: Stopping Clock. A player under center is permitted to stop the game clock legally to save time if, immediately upon receiving the snap, he begins a continuous throwing motion and throws the ball directly into the ground.

Item 4: Delayed Spike. A passer, after delaying his passing action for strategic purposes, is prohibited from throwing the ball to the ground in front of him, even though he is under no pressure from defensive rusher(s).

Penalty:

For intentional grounding:

(a) loss of down and 10 yards from the previous spot; or

(b) loss of down at the spot of the foul; or

(c) if the passer is in his end zone when the ball is thrown, it is a safety. See 4-7-1 for actions to conserve time inside one minute of either half.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 12:36:25 AM »
As for the 10-second run-off, see Rule 4, Section 7, Article 1 (b) on page 20...

QuoteSection 7 Actions to Conserve Time

ILLEGAL ACTS

Article 1 A team is not permitted to conserve time inside of one minute of either half by committing any of the following acts:

(a) a foul by either team that prevents the snap (i.e., false start, encroachment, etc.)

(b) intentional grounding;

(c) an illegal forward pass thrown from beyond the line of scrimmage;

(d) throwing a backward pass out of bounds;

(e) spiking or throwing the ball in the field of play after a down has ended, except after a touchdown; or

(f) any other intentional foul that causes the clock to stop.

Penalty: For Illegally Conserving Time: Loss of five yards unless a larger distance penalty is applicable.

When actions referred to above are committed by the offensive team while time is in, officials will run 10 seconds off the game clock before permitting the ball to be put in play on the ready-for-play signal. The game clock will start on the ready-for-play signal. If the offensive team has timeouts remaining, it will have the option of using a timeout in lieu of a 10-second runoff, in which case the game clock will start on the snap after the timeout. The defense always has the option to decline the 10-second runoff and have the yardage penalty enforced, but if the yardage penalty is declined, the 10-second runoff is also declined.

If the action is by the defense, the play clock will be reset to 40 seconds, and the game clock will start on the ready signal, unless the offense chooses to have the clock start on the snap. If the defense has timeouts remaining, it will have the option of using a timeout in lieu of the game clock being started.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2011, 06:41:11 AM »
I'd prefer that the NFL be like college and stop the clock after first downs.. if its not for the whole game, then maybe last 5 minutes of game (/half).

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2011, 08:32:56 AM »
Quote from: Tollbooth Yeti on November 28, 2011, 06:41:11 AM
I'd prefer that the NFL be like college and stop the clock after first downs.. if its not for the whole game, then maybe last 5 minutes of game (/half).

No, that sucks.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2011, 08:56:15 AM »
It doesn't suck to have the game held up by the less in shape referees and/or chain gang?