News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2012 NFL General Thread  ( 12,966 )

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2012 NFL General Thread
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2012, 05:40:12 PM »
Quote from: R-V on March 28, 2012, 04:54:44 PM
I'm just a simple caveman, but isn't the NFL so jaw-droppingly profitable that the owners could afford to pay several metric shit tons of money in damages to retired players, spend a metric shit ton of money more on gold-plated health insurance for current players, and *still* remain a ridiculously profitable enterprise?

I guess I don't see this as being a GAME CHANGING DEATH BLOW to a league that's more popular than free rim jobs.

I think the big picture question is: what happens to the future of football as awareness grows and parents stop letting their kids play football out of fear of turning them into a bunch of miniature Hueys?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2012, 05:47:40 PM »
Quote from: Eli on March 28, 2012, 03:22:24 PM
A friend of mine insists that getting rid of facemasks would stop players from using their helmets as a weapon. I don't think he came up with this.

Someone tell me what to think of that idea.

Well, I'll tell you what HSFootballYeti thinks: the crushing hits, those would likely drop. However, I, as an offensive lineman, liked to headbutt the DLineman if possible. The reduction of a mask wouldn't dissuade someone like myself from doing that, but it would likely result in facial injuries for those receiving. That's my two cents, right or wrong

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2012, 06:08:07 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on March 28, 2012, 05:40:12 PM
I'm just a simple caveman, but isn't the NFL so jaw-droppingly profitable that the owners could afford to pay several metric shit tons of money in damages to retired players, spend a metric shit ton of money more on gold-plated health insurance for current players, and *still* remain a ridiculously profitable enterprise?

I guess I don't see this as being a GAME CHANGING DEATH BLOW to a league that's more popular than free rim jobs.

I think the big picture question is: what happens to the future of football as awareness grows and parents stop letting their kids play football out of fear of turning them into a bunch of miniature Hueys?

Well, I'm pretty sure the NFL will survive even if its pipeline of upper-middle class kids whose parents monitor things like concussions dries up.  As long as you can make a shitload of money playing football (or even just go to college for free) people are going to run the risk.  Christ, it beats coal mining.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2012, 06:40:31 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on March 28, 2012, 04:46:56 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on March 28, 2012, 04:44:00 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 28, 2012, 04:31:10 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on March 28, 2012, 03:55:42 PM
I also don't think you want to do away with PEDs completely. If you like the sport, and want to see your favorite players compete, you can't do away with drugs that help them heal fast enough to do so. One way or another, we're talking about the end of days for the NFL. At least as far as it being the top sport in the land. The other shoe is about to drop and we can either ignore it and allow these guys to kill themselves for big money or pretend to be outraged when all we want is blood and murder and death. Pick one of those two or watch basketball.

I don't care about PEDs.  I'm of the libertarian mindset that if these guys want to trade 20+ years of lifespan and quality of life for millions of dollars, go right ahead.  Who is anyone to tell another what to do with their body?  All I'm saying is that the size and speed of the guys playing today suggest that PED prevention systems in place now don't appear to be working.  Further, if the NFL is serious about reducing its injury liability it may want to really eliminate PEDs and not put on a nice show for the general public.  That would mean real, year round random tests and penalties such as expulsion for players who are caught.

I'd miss my NFL.  I like seeing guys beat the shit out of each other for 3 feet of grass at a time.  And I like getting paid to lend people money who broadcast it.  But the likely bullshit facade the NFL has created around policing PEDs may actually be placing the whole league at risk.

Ultimately, it's not my money and my career that's at risk.  I'd watch more movies and lend money elsewhere.

Nobody can say for sure that HGH takes 20+ off of someone's life. The next big thing is right around the corner. It may cure AIDS. Who the fuck knows. People hear PED and they automatically think of anabolic steroids which are known to cause all kinds of horrible shit to happen. But HGH? I don't know.

Good point! **Downs bomber of lukewarm HGH. Punches out horse**

I guffawed at this Slakpost.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2012, 08:28:15 PM »
Quote from: CT III on March 28, 2012, 06:08:07 PM

Well, I'm pretty sure the NFL will survive even if its pipeline of upper-middle class kids whose parents monitor things like concussions dries up.  As long as you can make a shitload of money playing football (or even just go to college for free) people are going to run the risk.  Christ, it beats coal mining.

Right. It'd be interesting to see a study of the demographics of NFL players. The best players aren't generally playing their high school ball at the rich private schools. Poorer kids can use football as a way to escape a hard life. That won't change.

Me? I'll have have my son play hockey instead. There's no danger of concussions in that sport.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2012, 08:42:50 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on March 28, 2012, 08:28:15 PM
Quote from: CT III on March 28, 2012, 06:08:07 PM

Right. It'd be interesting to see a study of the demographics of NFL players. The best players aren't generally playing their high school ball at the rich private schools. Poorer kids can use football as a way to escape a hard life. That won't change.

The rest can either join the military or sell heroin. I love this plan. I'm proud to be a part of it.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2012, 10:12:57 AM »
Donovan McNabb has not taken the shitty demise of his career very well: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/29/mcnabb-says-robert-griffin-iii-doesnt-fit-with-shanahans-offense/.

I like how he denigrates Shanahan's other QBs for having losing records but doesn't mention his own.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2012, 10:20:54 AM »
Quote from: SKO on March 29, 2012, 10:12:57 AM
Donovan McNabb has not taken the shitty demise of his career very well: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/29/mcnabb-says-robert-griffin-iii-doesnt-fit-with-shanahans-offense/.

I like how he denigrates Shanahan's other QBs for having losing records but doesn't mention his own.

If only McNabb had played for the Bears. I hate sports.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2012, 10:26:43 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on March 29, 2012, 10:20:54 AM

I noticed he also didn't mention his awful play with the Vikings, since that would corroborate the Shanahan's (and everyone else's) notion that he just can't play anymore. I used to really like Donovan until sometime after the spat with TO. Wasn't his fault, necessarily, but he seemed like a really whiney, defensive jerk after that (Yes, I acknowledge the irony of a Cutler fan complaining about another QB's personality).
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2012, 10:33:41 AM »
Quote from: SKO on March 29, 2012, 10:26:43 AM

I noticed he also didn't mention his awful play with the Vikings, since that would corroborate the Shanahan's (and everyone else's) notion that he just can't play anymore. I used to really like Donovan until sometime after the spat with TO. Wasn't his fault, necessarily, but he seemed like a really whiney, defensive jerk after that (Yes, I acknowledge the irony of a Cutler fan complaining about another QB's personality).

I still like him and refuse to read/listen to anything that might cast him in a negative light. So I'm not clicking your anti-Donovan hate speech link.

My main beef is with Philly fans who shitted on him for years while he was winning game after game only to embrace the awfulness that is Mike Vick with open arms.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2012, 10:50:34 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on March 29, 2012, 10:33:41 AM

I still like him and refuse to read/listen to anything that might cast him in a negative light. So I'm not clicking your anti-Donovan hate speech link.

My main beef is with Philly fans who shitted on him for years while he was winning game after game only to embrace the awfulness that is Mike Vick with open arms.

Philly fans do love their dogfighting.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2012, 10:59:51 AM »

You're surprised philly fans suck? and vick is awful now?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2012, 11:13:25 AM »
Quote from: BH on March 29, 2012, 10:59:51 AM

I think he meant the awfulness of Vick as a person. Also, outside of a few huge games in 2010 he's been no improvement whatsoever over McNabb's numbers in Philly. Yet they hated McNabb and like Vick, even though Vick made a first round playoff exit as well as McNabb ever could have.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2012, 11:18:58 AM »
Quote from: SKO on March 29, 2012, 11:13:25 AM

I think he meant the awfulness of Vick as a person. Also, outside of a few huge games in 2010 he's been no improvement whatsoever over McNabb's numbers in Philly. Yet they hated McNabb and like Vick, even though Vick made a first round playoff exit as well as McNabb ever could have.

He was an exciting player in 2010. He was bad last year and was running for his life most of the time. Philly will hate him by the end of this year if they don't win.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2012, 11:24:46 AM »
Quote from: BH on March 29, 2012, 11:18:58 AM
Quote from: SKO on March 29, 2012, 11:13:25 AM

He was an exciting player in 2010. He was bad last year and was running for his life most of the time. Philly will hate him by the end of this year if they don't win.
He was exciting, yes, but overall not that much better than McNabb was for most of his time in Philly. There are just double standards because Phiadelphia fans like killing helpless animals. Fact.