News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Bearbonnais 2012: Emstink is Wonderful.  ( 19,605 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Bearbonnais 2012: Emstink is Wonderful.
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on August 21, 2012, 09:41:12 AM
Hub was on the Score yesterday telling B&B that Hester should not be playing receiver and that if anyone else returns a punt or kickoff this year it's a travesty of coaching. I disagree with this completely and believe that Hester will prove extremely valuable in the passing game once teams have to spend all their energy stopping Marshall and Forte. I have no empirical evidence to support my staunch belief in Devin Hester and Lovie Smith has human beings. But I have my asshurt. And that's quite a thing.

Hub is pretty much right in that if I had to pick one living human to return a punt or a kickoff, it would be Hester. Babe Ruth was a pretty good pitcher, but it so turned out that he was the best impact hitter the game had seen. Dick Butkus was a great high school fullback and I'm sure Urlacher could play tight end or fullback and in his prime he'd be better than Damian Shelton or Ryan Wetnight or whomever else they had out there. Hester's value is as a kick returner.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2012, 10:18:01 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on August 21, 2012, 10:02:00 AM
Hub was on the Score yesterday telling B&B that Hester should not be playing receiver and that if anyone else returns a punt or kickoff this year it's a travesty of coaching. I disagree with this completely and believe that Hester will prove extremely valuable in the passing game once teams have to spend all their energy stopping Marshall and Forte. I have no empirical evidence to support my staunch belief in Devin Hester and Lovie Smith has human beings. But I have my asshurt. And that's quite a thing.

Hub is pretty much right in that if I had to pick one living human to return a punt or a kickoff, it would be Hester. Babe Ruth was a pretty good pitcher, but it so turned out that he was the best impact hitter the game had seen. Dick Butkus was a great high school fullback and I'm sure Urlacher could play tight end or fullback and in his prime he'd be better than Damian Shelton or Ryan Wetnight or whomever else they had out there. Hester's value is as a kick returner.

This. I doubt there's a coach anywhere in the NFL losing any sleep over Hester running patterns and catching passes.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #107 on: August 21, 2012, 10:35:03 AM »

In his basement?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #108 on: August 21, 2012, 10:43:26 AM »
If you have a player with Hester's ability to move and you don't try to get the ball in his hands on offense, you're doing something wrong. Now that the kickoffs are moved up, I really don't care who they put back there to watch it sail into the seats. And most teams punt away from Devin, or at least try. So, you've got a guy with that kind of ability and you leave it up to the other team to decide how many touches he gets in a game?

Fuck you. I don't like you.

Could be the problem was a lack of talent on offense that kept them from doing anything all that well in the passing game, or a lack of coaching from Turner, Martz et al. Could be that's all fixed now. We'll see how it plays out, won't we, smart guys?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #109 on: August 21, 2012, 10:49:27 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on August 21, 2012, 10:43:26 AM
If you have a player with Hester's ability to move and you don't try to get the ball in his hands on offense, you're doing something wrong. Now that the kickoffs are moved up, I really don't care who they put back there to watch it sail into the seats. And most teams punt away from Devin, or at least try. So, you've got a guy with that kind of ability and you leave it up to the other team to decide how many touches he gets in a game?

Could be the problem was a lack of talent on offense that kept them from doing anything all that well in the passing game, or a lack of coaching from Turner, Martz et al. Could be that's all fixed now. We'll see how it plays out, won't we, smart guys?

Well the fact that he's too stupid to memorize more than 2 plays probably doesn't help.  And he's a shitty route runner.  And doesn't have great hands.  Other than that, he's a solid receiver.  They'll just stick him in the slot (=)and throw 4 yard slants to him and hope he can run fast and far and not die.  Like Forrest Gump.  Who you remind me of other than the accomplishments he had and his love for white women.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #110 on: August 21, 2012, 10:52:22 AM »

Putting Hester out there with Bennett and Marshall and Jeffrey and Forte will create a coverage nightmare for anyone, but to think that Hester should be more than a situational receiver if it is at the expense of him returning kicks is wrong.

I suppose it could be all Dave Toub's kickoff and punt return packages and as long as you have someone who won't trip over his own feet you'll have a return threat. It's possible. But sure, let's see how it all plays out.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #111 on: August 21, 2012, 10:56:21 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on August 21, 2012, 10:52:22 AM

Putting Hester out there with Bennett and Marshall and Jeffrey and Forte will create a coverage nightmare for anyone, but to think that Hester should be more than a situational receiver if it is at the expense of him returning kicks is wrong.

I suppose it could be all Dave Toub's kickoff and punt return packages and as long as you have someone who won't trip over his own feet you'll have a return threat. It's possible. But sure, let's see how it all plays out.

Didn't Johnny Knox make the pro bowl as a KR and didn't Danielle Manning lead the league in average returns? Yesir. That's not to say that it's all Toub's system, but they brought in a talented guy in Weems to do that. I'm not in favor of making him more than a situational receiver but injuries may cause that to happen. I'm convinced he's going to be very good at it in a limited role this year and I can't wait to start a thread tearing you all apart, getting real personal and out of line.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2012, 12:56:49 PM »
The idea that Devin Hester's struggles at wide receiver or at kick returner were due to him being both is lame and doesn't hold water. The idea that Devin Hester wasn't good at playing receiver because he's not a good receiver has some merit. I think Devin Hester's an excellent situational receiver but am beyond glad that they have a GM in Emery who hasn't staked part of his career on the notion that he paid Hester like a #1 receiver and thus must force him into the lineup. Emery and everyone else can inflate Hester's ego all they want with the usual hubub about him being an All-Pro receiver, the important thing is that their actions say they're doing everything they can to avoid being reliant on anything other than mediocrity from Hester at that position. They traded for Marshall, spent a 2 on a guy who isn't your prototypical slot receiver, and extended Earl Bennett while they beefed up the kick returner position and Devin's nearing the end of his contract. Connect the dots, people.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2012, 01:13:51 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on August 21, 2012, 10:56:21 AM

Didn't Johnny Knox make the pro bowl as a KR and didn't Danielle Manning lead the league in average returns? Yesir. That's not to say that it's all Toub's system, but they brought in a talented guy in Weems to do that. I'm not in favor of making him more than a situational receiver but injuries may cause that to happen. I'm convinced he's going to be very good at it in a limited role this year and I can't wait to start a thread tearing you all apart, getting real personal and out of line.

I wasn't being sarcastic with my remark about Toub because of Knox and Manning. Anyway, I hope Hester turns into a productive WR, but if I can't see him return kicks I'll be very sad.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2012, 02:43:49 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on August 21, 2012, 01:13:51 PM

I wasn't being sarcastic with my remark about Toub because of Knox and Manning. Anyway, I hope Hester turns into a productive WR, but if I can't see him return kicks I'll be very sad.

I'm glad we now have two different threads (both started by Apex) to talk about the Bears #4 WR.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2012, 02:46:08 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on August 21, 2012, 02:43:49 PM

I'm glad we now have two different threads (both started by Apex) to talk about the Bears #4 WR.

He's the all-time leader in kick return touchdowns. He's worth a thread or two or three.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2012, 02:47:42 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on August 21, 2012, 02:46:08 PM

He's the all-time leader in kick return touchdowns. He's worth a thread or two or three.

Pen should start a Steelers thread that no one can comment on instead.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2012, 02:53:49 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 21, 2012, 02:47:42 PM

I'm just glad these are the debates we're having. Instead of the "Hester shouldn't play receiver" crowd vs. the "Hester could so totally be a number one receiver (secretly crying inside)" debates, we're now arguing how often the Bears should throw to Hester the #4 receiver while Marshall and Alshon are busy combing for 123 yds in one half.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2012, 02:55:15 PM »

I'll start my own thread for Steelers talk. It'll be on a different site. In a notebook I keep in my drawer. It's soaked with tears.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2012, 02:56:12 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 21, 2012, 02:53:49 PM

I'm just glad these are the debates we're having. Instead of the "Hester shouldn't play receiver" crowd vs. the "Hester could so totally be a number one receiver (secretly crying inside)" debates, we're now arguing how often the Bears should throw to Hester the #4 receiver while Marshall and Alshon are busy combing for 123 yds in one half.