News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Chicago Bears 2012 Championship Season: Lovestink is Forever.  ( 61,390 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Chicago Bears 2012 Championship Season: Lovestink is Forever.
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2012, 01:39:56 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 12, 2012, 08:55:47 AM
Quote from: SKO on September 11, 2012, 11:00:02 PM
I don't think anyone's arguing that this is the most momentous throw in the history of Bears football.
I nominate McMahon to Gault, January 12, 1986 to give the Bears a 17-0 lead against the Rams.

I swee what you're doing, Chuck.

Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2012, 02:20:31 PM »
The PFF recap of the Bears-Colts game:

QuoteChicago – Three Performances of Note

J'Marcus Who?

That couldn't have been J'Marcus Webb, could it? The left tackle for the Bears looked like a changed man against the Colts. The much-maligned left tackle must have been practicing a little this offseason as he came out with easily the best game of his career and finished with a grade of +5.4. Webb had an up-and-down second season in 2011 that had much larger downs than ups. He finished as our second-worst starting left tackle in the NFL. On Sunday though, his 333 pound frame dominated in the run game, but even better than that was his positive pass blocking grade of +1.3. The biggest reason that this may not just be a fluke is that it occurred in the new system Mike Tice has implemented. Webb seemed to be put on an island in pass blocking far less against the Colts than in 2011, and excelled at creating seals in the run game. I don't think I'm ready to say 'problem solved' for Chicago, but it's as good a start as Bears fans could have hoped for.

Cutler's New Weapons

All the hype surrounding the additions of Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery is only going to grow after the pair of performances they turned in against the Colts. At least for now, they appear to be just what the doctor ordered for quarterback Jay Cutler. The new-found height was huge in the red zone as Marshall caught a three-yard touchdown and earned two pass interference penalties in the end zone. Neither receiver disappointed as Marshall graded out at +1.8 and Jeffery at +1.7. The two receivers combined were targeted 20 times out of Cutler's 35 throws and any doubts about their effectiveness have been put to rest. The Bears' passing game will have a chance to improve on this performance Thursday night against a Green Bay defense that gave up the most passing yards in the league in 2011.

Not-So-Secret Superstar

Tim Jennings may have been a PFF Secret Superstar this offseason, but if he has a few more games like this one, the secret will be common knowledge. The great corners are said to take away half of the field and that was exactly what Jennings did. Luck would have been better off not even throwing a pass to Jennings' area of responsibility as he picked off two passes and allowed only three completions on nine targets. He has been under the radar for some time now because of his low interception totals (seven in the past four years). Hopefully this is the kind of game that can gain him the recognition he deserves.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2012, 02:49:38 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 12, 2012, 02:20:31 PM

J'Marcus Who?

That couldn't have been J'Marcus Webb, could it? The left tackle for the Bears looked like a changed man against the Colts. The much-maligned left tackle must have been practicing a little this offseason as he came out with easily the best game of his career and finished with a grade of +5.4. Webb had an up-and-down second season in 2011 that had much larger downs than ups. He finished as our second-worst starting left tackle in the NFL. On Sunday though, his 333 pound frame dominated in the run game, but even better than that was his positive pass blocking grade of +1.3. The biggest reason that this may not just be a fluke is that it occurred in the new system Mike Tice has implemented. Webb seemed to be put on an island in pass blocking far less against the Colts than in 2011, and excelled at creating seals in the run game. I don't think I'm ready to say 'problem solved' for Chicago, but it's as good a start as Bears fans could have hoped for.

Cutler's New Weapons

All the hype surrounding the additions of Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery is only going to grow after the pair of performances they turned in against the Colts. At least for now, they appear to be just what the doctor ordered for quarterback Jay Cutler. The new-found height was huge in the red zone as Marshall caught a three-yard touchdown and earned two pass interference penalties in the end zone. Neither receiver disappointed as Marshall graded out at +1.8 and Jeffery at +1.7. The two receivers combined were targeted 20 times out of Cutler's 35 throws and any doubts about their effectiveness have been put to rest. The Bears' passing game will have a chance to improve on this performance Thursday night against a Green Bay defense that gave up the most passing yards in the league in 2011.

Not-So-Secret Superstar

Tim Jennings may have been a PFF Secret Superstar this offseason, but if he has a few more games like this one, the secret will be common knowledge. The great corners are said to take away half of the field and that was exactly what Jennings did. Luck would have been better off not even throwing a pass to Jennings' area of responsibility as he picked off two passes and allowed only three completions on nine targets. He has been under the radar for some time now because of his low interception totals (seven in the past four years). Hopefully this is the kind of game that can gain him the recognition he deserves.

I appreciate the JWebb splooge but was made of Dwight Freeney going down after the first series. I'm still a little scared.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2012, 02:56:57 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on September 12, 2012, 02:49:38 PM

J'Marcus Who?

Cutler's New Weapons

Not-So-Secret Superstar

I appreciate the JWebb splooge but was made of Dwight Freeney going down after the first series. I'm still a little scared.

That was all on Tim Spencer. Chris Williams might be in that slot before it's all over. #letsseehowitallplaysout

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2012, 02:59:27 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on September 12, 2012, 02:49:38 PM

J'Marcus Who?

Cutler's New Weapons

Not-So-Secret Superstar

Bernstein's been sniveling and saying shit like "it was totally coincidence, not causality, that the offense got better after Freeney went out.." Fuck that. I won't say it didn't help, but none of their problems on the first couple of drives had shit to do with Freeney. It was actually Kellen Davis, not Chris Spencer, as far as I could tell, who got beat for the first sack (which was Mathis, as was their only other sack), and Cutler really wasn't even pressured to begin with. He was just misfiring. J'Marcus has obviously got to do this more than once, but Freeney was not an issue. PFF even said he did very little on the few plays he was in. He was in coverage half his snaps anyway.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2012, 07:59:39 AM »
Quote from: Fork on September 11, 2012, 08:38:02 PM
Quote from: morpheus on September 11, 2012, 11:43:02 AM
Quote from: PANK! on September 11, 2012, 06:15:00 AM

That's a good call.  Take your pick on the first two--I'll go with the one where Payton completely plugged (||) the blitzing linebacker. 

I submit Grossman's first career TD to Marty Booker vs. the Skins was also nice, though down the sideline. 

There was something about Sunday's throw, though, and SKO sums it up well.  There was a stunning sensation caused by seeing the ball come down in Jeffry's hand as he was already in the endzone that I'll never forget feeling.

I believe the word you're looking for there is BONERTIME!

That's one gorgeous play, but, you know, the Colts.

Right. I forgot that the physical act of firing a 60 yard dart with perfect placement into the hands of a receiver is somehow easier against shitty teams.

I don't think anyone's arguing that this is the most momentous throw in the history of Bears football. Just the most impressive looking.

Everything's easier against shitty teams. More time in the pocket, worse pass coverage, name it.

But as I said, gorgeous play.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2012, 08:06:44 AM »
Quote from: Fork on September 13, 2012, 07:59:39 AM

That's a good call.  Take your pick on the first two--I'll go with the one where Payton completely plugged (||) the blitzing linebacker. 

I submit Grossman's first career TD to Marty Booker vs. the Skins was also nice, though down the sideline. 

There was something about Sunday's throw, though, and SKO sums it up well.  There was a stunning sensation caused by seeing the ball come down in Jeffry's hand as he was already in the endzone that I'll never forget feeling.

Right. I forgot that the physical act of firing a 60 yard dart with perfect placement into the hands of a receiver is somehow easier against shitty teams.

I don't think anyone's arguing that this is the most momentous throw in the history of Bears football. Just the most impressive looking.

Everything's easier against shitty teams. More time in the pocket, worse pass coverage, name it.

Plus, it's way easier to use the run to set up the play action pass*, like on this play.

* I think that's how it works?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2012, 08:08:11 AM »
Quote from: Eli on September 13, 2012, 08:06:44 AM
Quote from: Fork on September 13, 2012, 07:59:39 AM

Plus, it's way easier to use establish the run to set up the play action pass*, like on this play.

* I think that's how it works?

so close.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2012, 06:39:11 PM »
Let's say hypothetically that the NFL Network and the cable companies aren't interested in their customers and it's really difficult to get the channel as a result.  Let's also say, totally hypothetically, that one would like to watch a certain team play a certain other team tonight over some sort of series of tubes.  How could one do so in some other parallel world where such a thing is even possible and certainly not in this world nor would one ever dream of doing so even if it were possible, just to make that clear?  Hypothetically.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2012, 09:05:56 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 13, 2012, 06:39:11 PM
Let's say hypothetically that the NFL Network and the cable companies aren't interested in their customers and it's really difficult to get the channel as a result.  Let's also say, totally hypothetically, that one would like to watch a certain team play a certain other team tonight over some sort of series of tubes.  How could one do so in some other parallel world where such a thing is even possible and certainly not in this world nor would one ever dream of doing so even if it were possible, just to make that clear?  Hypothetically.

Move to Arizona?
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2012, 09:18:56 PM »
Quote from: flannj on September 13, 2012, 09:05:56 PM

Move to Arizona?

Damn, why didn't I think of that sooner.  And I found a tip from Tonker on Wiziwig.  Thank you Tonk.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2012, 09:49:46 PM »

P. Motherfucking. Nut.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2012, 10:14:25 PM »
Quote from: flannj on September 13, 2012, 09:05:56 PM

Move to Arizona?

Happy to report that both Arizona (Cox) and Colorado (Comcast) cable companies carry NFL Network.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2012, 10:15:42 PM »
I hope Green Bay is the first city nuked when they start dropping. And Aaron Rodgers gets unfunny cancer

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2012, 10:41:28 PM »
Defense played really well - this offense has a long ways to go this season.

It can get there, but not a single player on offense played up to the level of terrible tonight.  The reality is that this game was stopping one crazy fake FG away from being a 1 score game.  And in that scenario, the game should've been won if the offense weren't absolute dogshit.

The worst thing could be Forte being done for a while.  If he is, then the panic needle moves up from "nothing to see here, move along" to wondering if Romney might actually win levels of panic.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!