News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Systems of Football: The All-Purpose Bears Game Thread  ( 44,350 )

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Systems of Football: The All-Purpose Bears Game Thread
« Reply #285 on: December 23, 2013, 05:15:40 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on December 23, 2013, 05:04:46 PM
forgottten

Sometimes the pank is subtttle.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Bonk

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #286 on: December 24, 2013, 03:27:29 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 23, 2013, 02:42:06 PM
Quote from: Slaky on December 23, 2013, 02:24:04 PM
Quote from: SKO on December 23, 2013, 02:00:05 PM
Quote from: R-V on December 23, 2013, 01:54:47 PM
Quote from: SKO on December 23, 2013, 01:47:33 PM
Mostly repeated from the shoutbox, but whatever, since Yeti asked about Pepper's cap hit which is 18.2 mil if they keep him or 9.8 mil if they don't:
So I crunched it out.

126.3 salary cap limit next year.
Bears have 79 million committed, but if they cut Peppers, BBE, and Bush that's another 14.1 million.

So that's 61 mildo. Let's say they tag Cutler at 16 mil and not even a team friendly extension. We'll say they extend Slauson at no more than 3 mil per. So that's 19 million for those two, offense done.

That's 42 million. Thanks to our awesome new CBA it takes like 3 mil a year to sign draft picks, tops.

So we're looking at 39 million minimum probably in free agency if they keep Cutler at Worst Case Scenario dollars. If he negotiates a team-friendly extension anywhere close to the 12-14 mil we're talking about that's probably 41 million in cap This year alone, assuming no Marshall extension or anything else for cap relief on offense. To me that's plenty of money to keep Jay and fix the defense and not have me laying awake at night in a cold sweat wondering if a 35 year old McCown or a rookie can be productive for a full season. Worth it to me.

I wouldn't mind spending a small handful of that loot on a new starting center and a competent tackle to compete with Mills next year. Hopefully they can find a backup RB in the draft as opposed to spending FA money on that position.

There's any number of serviceable goal-line backs available for the vet minimum in free agency, I'm sure. Why you'd bother committing anything of value to a backup a the most easily replaceable position in the game I don't know.

What about center? RV is right - the bloated corpse of Robstink Garza needs to go.

Not really worried there. Centers are fairly cheap. Wouldn't make much of a difference in terms of cap hit to sign a FA center, most likely. Hopefully they do so, but in terms of how it will affect the cap my guess is not at all.

While you guys are talking about Bears Futureboner 2014, can this team please get a punter than can go a week without shanking two kicks? Come to think of it, why did they ever let Maynard go?

Podleshank makes me long for the days of Dave Finzer.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #287 on: December 24, 2013, 04:55:48 AM »
Mostly repeated from the shoutbox, but whatever, since Yeti asked about Pepper's cap hit which is 18.2 mil if they keep him or 9.8 mil if they don't:
So I crunched it out.

Bears have 79 million committed, but if they cut Peppers, BBE, and Bush that's another 14.1 million.

So that's 61 mildo. Let's say they tag Cutler at 16 mil and not even a team friendly extension. We'll say they extend Slauson at no more than 3 mil per. So that's 19 million for those two, offense done.

That's 42 million. Thanks to our awesome new CBA it takes like 3 mil a year to sign draft picks, tops.

So we're looking at 39 million minimum probably in free agency if they keep Cutler at Worst Case Scenario dollars. If he negotiates a team-friendly extension anywhere close to the 12-14 mil we're talking about that's probably 41 million in cap This year alone, assuming no Marshall extension or anything else for cap relief on offense. To me that's plenty of money to keep Jay and fix the defense and not have me laying awake at night in a cold sweat wondering if a 35 year old McCown or a rookie can be productive for a full season. Worth it to me.

Martellus has talked about wanting to play with his brother, and that Michael is a free agent at the end of the year.  He basically told B&B he's recruiting him to Chicago for next season.  Anyway, assuming he's serious, would he be a fit, and would he be any good?

Also, it was pretty subtle so I don't know if you guys caught this, but Pex has sex.  With girls!
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #288 on: December 24, 2013, 06:17:28 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on December 24, 2013, 04:55:48 AM
So I crunched it out.

Martellus has talked about wanting to play with his brother, and that Michael is a free agent at the end of the year.  He basically told B&B he's recruiting him to Chicago for next season.  Anyway, assuming he's serious, would he be a fit, and would he be any good?

Also, it was pretty subtle so I don't know if you guys caught this, but Pex has sex.  With girls!

Its better than the alternative

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #289 on: December 24, 2013, 08:09:11 AM »
So I crunched it out.

Michael Bennett has been the free agent I've been drooling over most since the season started. He was great in Tampa last year, he's been great in Seattle this year, he plays all four spots on the DL. He'd be like the second coming of Israel Idonije. They need that.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #290 on: December 24, 2013, 09:24:50 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on December 24, 2013, 06:17:28 AM
So I crunched it out.

Its better than the alternative

jeslakkawumun
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #291 on: December 24, 2013, 10:45:56 AM »
Quote from: Bonk on December 24, 2013, 03:27:29 AM
Come to think of it, why did they ever let Maynard go?

He's probably available.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #292 on: December 26, 2013, 02:07:45 PM »
So it's Rodgers. At least to start.

Kind of fun that it comes down to Cutler vs. Rodgers with the division title on the line at home.

I imagine even if the Bears lose he'll get re-signed but I guess this is 'good for the game' or some bullshit.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #293 on: December 27, 2013, 10:09:59 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 26, 2013, 02:07:45 PM

Kind of fun that it comes down to Cutler vs. Rodgers with the division title on the line at home.

I imagine even if the Bears lose he'll get re-signed but I guess this is 'good for the game' or some bullshit.

I am looking into some crystal, and here's what I see:

Carolina beats Atlanta, clinching the 2nd Seed.
St. Louis beats Seattle and the Niners beat Arizona.

Aaron Rodgers looks timid and the Packers defense even more porous than the Bears D. A Tim Jennings INT for touchdown and a Peppers/sack forced fumble makes all the difference in the Bears' 41-28 win. Matt Flynn plays the final 15 minutes.

Philadelphia is too busy making love to their film from last week to fear the one man who can bring justice to the NFL:

So, we're left with this:

1) Forty-Whiners
2) Chico's Bail Bondsp Carolina Panthers
3) Bears
4) Neckbeard and a bunch of guys bad at football that Jerry Jones keeps writing checks to.
5) She-hawks
6) SKO's Saints.

Bears beat Saints outdoors and Seattke knocks off Jerry's kids. Seattke beats SF to close the 'Stick and the Bears stick it to Chico and Greg Olsen.

Seahawks lose to Bears in Chicago.

Bears go into the swamp to wipe that ugly grimace of Peyton Manning's face as a Noreaster bears down (no pun intended) on the Tri-State area.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #294 on: December 27, 2013, 03:49:34 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on December 27, 2013, 10:09:59 AM
Quote from: Slaky on December 26, 2013, 02:07:45 PM

I am looking into some crystal, and here's what I see:

Carolina beats Atlanta, clinching the 2nd Seed.
St. Louis beats Seattle and the Niners beat Arizona.

Aaron Rodgers looks timid and the Packers defense even more porous than the Bears D. A Tim Jennings INT for touchdown and a Peppers/sack forced fumble makes all the difference in the Bears' 41-28 win. Matt Flynn plays the final 15 minutes.

Philadelphia is too busy making love to their film from last week to fear the one man who can bring justice to the NFL:

So, we're left with this:

1) Forty-Whiners
2) Chico's Bail Bondsp Carolina Panthers
3) Bears
4) Neckbeard and a bunch of guys bad at football that Jerry Jones keeps writing checks to.
5) She-hawks
6) SKO's Saints.

Bears beat Saints outdoors and Seattke knocks off Jerry's kids. Seattke beats SF to close the 'Stick and the Bears stick it to Chico and Greg Olsen.

Seahawks lose to Bears in Chicago.

Bears go into the swamp to wipe that ugly grimace of Peyton Manning's face as a Noreaster bears down (no pun intended) on the Tri-State area.

*turns girlfriend's kitchen into a one man food fight scene from Animal House*
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #295 on: December 29, 2013, 03:38:56 PM »
Just a pre-emptive "Shut up" to CFiHP whenever he stumbles in here.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #296 on: December 29, 2013, 06:34:00 PM »
Son of a fucking bitch.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #297 on: December 29, 2013, 07:14:58 PM »
The beautiful Italian that I married made an outstanding minestrone this morning.
I'm about to have a bowl of it for dinner.

I may also have a bowl of after dinner vodka.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

BBM

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #298 on: December 29, 2013, 07:25:33 PM »

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #299 on: December 29, 2013, 09:49:29 PM »
Quote from: Eli on December 29, 2013, 03:38:56 PM
Just a pre-emptive "Shut up" to CFiHP whenever he stumbles in here.

I'll take the Orton that showed up through tree quarters to the Jay that showed up tonight.  His first half was painfully brutal - there were so many missed opportunities that GB should never have been in the game.  7/12 or whatever for 65-ish yards and a TD is Brandon Weedon bad.

The defense obviously was the real villain here, but Jay had multiple chances to man up and put it away, and he failed to do it.  On the other side of the field, he got to watch a HOF QB come up clutch and kill the Bears once again.  Does anyone think that if Cutler were in Rodgers shoes on that 4th and 8, that he would've 1. avoided the sack, and 2. thrown that good of a ball to Cobb?  It would've either sailed 10 yards on him or fallen 5 yards short.

Jay's numbers the last three weeks have done nothing to earn him a spot here next season.  This is what happens when you fix what isn't broken.

Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!