News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Systems of Football: The All-Purpose Bears Game Thread  ( 44,910 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Systems of Football: The All-Purpose Bears Game Thread
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2013, 08:48:25 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 21, 2013, 09:35:11 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 21, 2013, 08:24:18 PM
Quote from: Eli on October 21, 2013, 03:09:37 PM
Quote from: PANK! on October 21, 2013, 02:42:01 PM
Quote from: SKO on October 21, 2013, 02:38:22 PM
Quote from: PANK! on October 21, 2013, 02:36:13 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 21, 2013, 01:45:29 PM
Cutler is out four weeks per the internet, television and the radio on my desk. Listening to the TrEmstink press conferences, I'm convinced that nothing is fucked here and the Bears are totally going to rip Green Bay a new asshole in two weeks.

Probably just drinking the anti-Slaky kool-aid here, but I like to think that yesterday will turn out to represent the nadir of the Trestman era.

*chest bumps Apex*

In Slaky's defense, this team is a trainwreck, although I somehow doubt he meant "EVERY ONE WILL GET HURT OR DIE" when he said that.

Yeah now they're a trianwreck, thanks mostly to injuries but I don't think they were a trainwreck in August to the degree that would justify leaving the country for 6 weeks, returning only when it appeared that perhaps they weren't such a damn mess.

I support this and would like all of us to begin a permanent Desipio Meme that Marc Trestman is why Slaky moved to Norway.

I met a Norwegian in the visiting student program.  She's very cute and her accent is nice.  #coolstorysterling.  Are you still over there, Slak, or did you move back?

I'm back.

I have to admit I was encouraged by the offense on Sunday. The defense is in flux but that's what happens when you rely on old, fat guys to be the core. They're hurt and then they're out and you're left with..that.

I really love Emery's decision not to extend anyone. At this point get everyone the fuck out of here and start over.

Agreed. To me this season is a success as long as the offense plays respectably in Cutler's absence and hopefully he at least comes back to add a few more good games to his resume. If Trestman and Emery can fix a historically inept unit in one offseason I don't see any reason they can't patch together a workable defense next year and actually contend. The Saints and Titans were two of the worst defenses in football last year and got turned around quickly with not that many changes.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2013, 09:38:33 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 22, 2013, 08:48:25 AM
Cutler is out four weeks per the internet, television and the radio on my desk. Listening to the TrEmstink press conferences, I'm convinced that nothing is fucked here and the Bears are totally going to rip Green Bay a new asshole in two weeks.

Probably just drinking the anti-Slaky kool-aid here, but I like to think that yesterday will turn out to represent the nadir of the Trestman era.

*chest bumps Apex*

In Slaky's defense, this team is a trainwreck, although I somehow doubt he meant "EVERY ONE WILL GET HURT OR DIE" when he said that.

Yeah now they're a trianwreck, thanks mostly to injuries but I don't think they were a trainwreck in August to the degree that would justify leaving the country for 6 weeks, returning only when it appeared that perhaps they weren't such a damn mess.

I support this and would like all of us to begin a permanent Desipio Meme that Marc Trestman is why Slaky moved to Norway.

I met a Norwegian in the visiting student program.  She's very cute and her accent is nice.  #coolstorysterling.  Are you still over there, Slak, or did you move back?

I'm back.

I have to admit I was encouraged by the offense on Sunday. The defense is in flux but that's what happens when you rely on old, fat guys to be the core. They're hurt and then they're out and you're left with..that.

I really love Emery's decision not to extend anyone. At this point get everyone the fuck out of here and start over.

Agreed. To me this season is a success as long as the offense plays respectably in Cutler's absence and hopefully he at least comes back to add a few more good games to his resume. If Trestman and Emery can fix a historically inept unit in one offseason I don't see any reason they can't patch together a workable defense next year and actually contend. The Saints and Titans were two of the worst defenses in football last year and got turned around quickly with not that many changes.

I'll add the Colts to that mix of teams that have developed competent defenses seemingly out of nowhere. I don't agree with all of Grigson's methodology - if only because he's going against the grain a little too much. But he's Purdue educated so he must be smart and that team is a title contender right now if they keep Luck healthy.

Am I correct in believing that back seven defensive players have become appendages, easily replaceable and unworthy of large investments like running backs? Or are teams like Seattle and KC showing that those guys are the key to winning defensive football? I still like the front four (or five if you're that way inclined) as the basis of everything.

1. QB
2. DL
3. LT
4. WR
5. Guys

The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2013, 10:07:31 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 22, 2013, 09:38:33 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 22, 2013, 08:48:25 AM

*chest bumps Apex*

I'm back.

I'll add the Colts to that mix of teams that have developed competent defenses seemingly out of nowhere. I don't agree with all of Grigson's methodology - if only because he's going against the grain a little too much. But he's Purdue educated so he must be smart and that team is a title contender right now if they keep Luck healthy.

Am I correct in believing that back seven defensive players have become appendages, easily replaceable and unworthy of large investments like running backs? Or are teams like Seattle and KC showing that those guys are the key to winning defensive football? I still like the front four (or five if you're that way inclined) as the basis of everything.

1. QB
2. DL
3. LT
4. WR
5. Guys

I'm not even sure the tackles are that important. Jordan Mills has been awful since week 2 and Bushrod's been mediocre at best, and the pass protection has still been fine becuase the interior has been a wall in terms of setting the pocket. With quick passing being the basis of most successful offenses and with tight ends and backs being able to help tackles, I think the emphasis on LTs is overrated. Trestman and Kromer seem to get that.

I would say LB's are largely replaceable at this point, but corners and the DL are more important than ever.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2013, 10:24:41 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 22, 2013, 10:07:31 AM
With quick passing being the basis of most successful offenses and with tight ends and backs being able to help tackles, I think the emphasis on LTs is overrated. Trestman and Kromer seem to get that.

Isn't the Saints' philosophy to build the o-line from the inside out? I feel like I read that somewhere. Given that Kromer is here now, it seems like that would carry through.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2013, 10:30:13 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 22, 2013, 10:24:41 AM
With quick passing being the basis of most successful offenses and with tight ends and backs being able to help tackles, I think the emphasis on LTs is overrated. Trestman and Kromer seem to get that.

Isn't the Saints' philosophy to build the o-line from the inside out? I feel like I read that somewhere. Given that Kromer is here now, it seems like that would carry through.

I mentioned it a blogpost once before the year. I'm going to pretend that's where you saw it. But yeah, basically. Kromer said that in response to people asking why they wouldn't try Long at RT if they thought he was so athletically gifted.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2013, 10:32:14 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 22, 2013, 10:30:13 AM

I mentioned it a blogpost once before the year. I'm going to pretend that's where you saw it. But yeah, basically. Kromer said that in response to people asking why they wouldn't try Long at RT if they thought he was so athletically gifted.

I hope Hub keeps saying that they're playing Long out of position. That would be neat.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2013, 10:50:48 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 22, 2013, 10:32:14 AM

I hope Hub keeps saying that they're playing Long out of position. That would be neat.

Not me.  I'd prefer he not say anything or just keep it confined to his avoidable website.

Speaking of ... what's it like to hitch your professional wagon to HubArkush.com?  How does one feel when his bio reads "Writer for HubArkush.com?"  These are questions.

When's the great Bears blog merger, SKO?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2013, 12:17:32 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 22, 2013, 10:32:14 AM

Well he's been doing well so far in the position of "guy who kills hapless linebacker on a pulling block". I hope he stays there.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2013, 02:25:58 PM »
The Bears ran several packaged plays this Sunday, one of which led to the Forte 50 YD TD run and another that led to the Marty B TD, I believe. It's a shame the defense sucks, but the guy running the offense sure knows what the fuck he's doing. It's amazing to see this team led by an offensive innovator rather than a reactionary.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2013, 02:34:44 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 22, 2013, 02:25:58 PM
The Bears ran several packaged plays this Sunday, one of which led to the Forte 50 YD TD run and another that led to the Marty B TD, I believe. It's a shame the defense sucks, but the guy running the offense sure knows what the fuck he's doing. It's amazing to see this team led by an offensive innovator rather than a reactionary.

Remember what it was like to have that on special teams, too?

DAVE TOUB, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN US?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2013, 02:40:07 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on October 22, 2013, 02:34:44 PM

I like Joe DeCamarinelli or whatever his name is. I don't really blame him for the coverage fuckups because they've got backups to the backups in their STs now, too, and I think the surprise onside was a good call, and they've set up some great Hester returns so far.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2013, 04:18:13 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 22, 2013, 02:40:07 PM

I like Joe DeCamarinelli or whatever his name is. I don't really blame him for the coverage fuckups because they've got backups to the backups in their STs now, too, and I think the surprise onside was a good call, and they've set up some great Hester returns so far.

Who made the call on the Music City Miracle play Sunday?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2013, 04:21:26 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on October 22, 2013, 04:18:13 PM

Yeah that one I didn't like. Burned like 15 seconds they could have used for an extra play against a really shitty defense.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2013, 04:35:04 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 22, 2013, 04:21:26 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on October 22, 2013, 04:18:13 PM

Yeah that one I didn't like. Burned like 15 seconds they could have used for an extra play against a really shitty defense.

Also: did someone forget to tell Hester that the play was off if Washington squibbed the ball to one of the up-backs like they did on nearly every other kickoff that day?