News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Systems of Football: The All-Purpose Bears Game Thread  ( 44,897 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Systems of Football: The All-Purpose Bears Game Thread
« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2013, 12:57:22 PM »
Quote from: SKO on November 11, 2013, 12:55:16 PM
Quote from: R-V on November 11, 2013, 12:05:28 PM
I admit it...I'm not completely dismissing the idea of

• letting Cutler walk after this year and instead spending the franchise QB money to upgrade the defense
  • drafting a QB
  • letting (gulp) McCown start at least a portion of next season until Scheelhaase is ready to play

I don't like that I'm thinking it, but I'm thinking it.

The cap next year will be about $120 Million. The Bears currently have about $80 million committed for 2014, and that's including paying Peppers $18 million if they keep him (not likely) vs. $8 million if they cut him. So looking at about $50+ million in cap room, I'm not really worried about them paying Cutler. I'd probably franchise tag him at this point, and you can bring back McCown for cheap. Dude is 34 and has never had any kind of success anywhere except in Trestman's offense. He'll be cheap to backup Jay or start Jay if you want the meatballs to win the revolution or whatever.

I still think your best chance as a serious contender in 2014 is keeping Cutler at QB and keeping the rest of that offense (sans Garza, natch) together next year and using your FA money and your draft picks to re-tool on defense.

Plus I'd rather overpay for a quarterback, where you'll often find effective starters into their late 30s, as opposed to giving more big money deals to top defensive free agents, who are likely to age faster and be less effective later in their deals.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2013, 01:16:11 PM »
Quote from: SKO on November 11, 2013, 12:57:22 PM

• letting Cutler walk after this year and instead spending the franchise QB money to upgrade the defense
  • drafting a QB
  • letting (gulp) McCown start at least a portion of next season until Scheelhaase is ready to play

The cap next year will be about $120 Million. The Bears currently have about $80 million committed for 2014, and that's including paying Peppers $18 million if they keep him (not likely) vs. $8 million if they cut him. So looking at about $50+ million in cap room, I'm not really worried about them paying Cutler. I'd probably franchise tag him at this point, and you can bring back McCown for cheap. Dude is 34 and has never had any kind of success anywhere except in Trestman's offense. He'll be cheap to backup Jay or start Jay if you want the meatballs to win the revolution or whatever.

I still think your best chance as a serious contender in 2014 is keeping Cutler at QB and keeping the rest of that offense (sans Garza, natch) together next year and using your FA money and your draft picks to re-tool on defense.

Plus I'd rather overpay for a quarterback, where you'll often find effective starters into their late 30s, as opposed to giving more big money deals to top defensive free agents, who are likely to age faster and be less effective later in their deals.

All good points. Garza definitely needs to be replaced, and I wouldn't have a sad if they found a veteran upgrade from Mills. Given how much Kromer/Trestman value a strong interior line vs. stud tackles, center should be the priority, and Mills has been respectable, but definitely a spot where they can improve. I didn't realize how much cap room they were going to have...now I've got a chub to see what Emery can do in the free agent market with all that cash.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2013, 01:20:23 PM »
Quote from: R-V on November 11, 2013, 01:16:11 PM

• drafting a QB

All good points. Garza definitely needs to be replaced, and I wouldn't have a sad if they found a veteran upgrade from Mills. Given how much Kromer/Trestman value a strong interior line vs. stud tackles, center should be the priority, and Mills has been respectable, but definitely a spot where they can improve. I didn't realize how much cap room they were going to have...now I've got a chub to see what Emery can do in the free agent market with all that cash.

Who are the other prime candidates for the franchise tag? 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2013, 01:22:46 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on November 11, 2013, 01:20:23 PM

• drafting a QB

Robbie Gould.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2013, 01:23:08 PM »

• drafting a QB

Fucking nobody. Tillman? On IR for the rest of the year after a weak campaign. Melton? Not a chance. There is no reason not to just tag Cutler. They've got the space to do it and I can't imagine Emery wanting to waste a top half draft pick on a position that they've gotten perfectly good production from this year.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2013, 01:23:34 PM »

• drafting a QB

That's why I've kind of felt this year was more or less a punt. Now it just so happens that the division has gone up for grabs with the Green Bay injury situation and Detroit is still Detroit. The Bears still have a shot at this thing and that's great. But they've obviously been stung by injuries as well.

I still like Emery making these guys play to stay. Much like Lovie Smith's defensive philosophy, I welcome lots of turnover on the Bears defense this offseason.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2013, 01:29:49 PM »
Quote from: CT III on November 11, 2013, 01:22:46 PM

• drafting a QB

Robbie Gould.

If he doesn't get franchise type money his kids are going to be stuck eating gruel.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2013, 01:30:33 PM »
Quote from: SKO on November 11, 2013, 01:23:08 PM

• drafting a QB

Fucking nobody. Tillman? On IR for the rest of the year after a weak campaign. Melton? Not a chance. There is no reason not to just tag Cutler. They've got the space to do it and I can't imagine Emery wanting to waste a top half draft pick on a position that they've gotten perfectly good production from this year.

Tagging Cutler seems reasonable,  but you're going to have to draft a QB somewhere in rounds 2-4 then.  

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2013, 01:47:01 PM »

• drafting a QB

Now wait just a goddamn minute.  A weak campaign?

3 INTs and 3 FF in 8 games while playing on one leg?  All our corners should be so weak.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2013, 01:49:05 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on November 11, 2013, 01:30:33 PM

• drafting a QB

Tagging Cutler seems reasonable,  but you're going to have to draft a QB somewhere in rounds 2-4 then.  

I would like to see this as well and I can't imagine they don't grab a QB at some point in the draft.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2013, 02:29:17 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on November 11, 2013, 01:49:05 PM

• drafting a QB

I would like to see this as well and I can't imagine they don't grab a QB at some point in the draft.

Short of giving him a new contract, I can't think of a more clear expression of what Trestman and Emery think of Cutler than starting and continuing to play him last week. He's their guy. They're not on the fence about whether or not he can win in the NFL.

I expect him back with new paper.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2013, 02:30:57 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 11, 2013, 02:29:17 PM

• drafting a QB

Short of giving him a new contract, I can't think of a more clear expression of what Trestman and Emery think of Cutler than starting and continuing to play him last week. He's their guy. They're not on the fence about whether or not he can win in the NFL.

Well and it's not even a question of "can Trestink fix him?" like it was in the offseason. When healthy he's clearly very effective in that offense, and that offense is effective with him. There's no reason not to bring him back, but I totally support franchise tagging him because of the mounting injury issues.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2013, 02:40:18 PM »
Quote from: SKO on November 11, 2013, 02:30:57 PM

• drafting a QB

Well and it's not even a question of "can Trestink fix him?" like it was in the offseason. When healthy he's clearly very effective in that offense, and that offense is effective with him. There's no reason not to bring him back, but I totally support franchise tagging him because of the mounting injury issues.

I don't think his are the kind of mounting injuries that would make them shy away from locking him up with some guaranteed paper. If it were knees, back, neck, arm or something, yeah, they would worry that he'd lose some of his effectiveness. But a broken thumb, a torn groin and a sprained ankle? Nah. Pay the man his money.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2013, 09:02:18 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 11, 2013, 02:40:18 PM
Quote from: SKO on November 11, 2013, 02:30:57 PM

• drafting a QB

I don't think his are the kind of mounting injuries that would make them shy away from locking him up with some guaranteed paper. If it were knees, back, neck, arm or something, yeah, they would worry that he'd lose some of his effectiveness. But a broken thumb, a torn groin and a sprained ankle? Nah. Pay the man his money.

Maybe they just think he's better than Josh McCown and gives them a better chance to win, even at 80%. I'm pretty sure anybody in the NFL would feel that way, having seen Josh McCown play the 8-10 years or whatever.

In terms of "pay the man his money" why would they do that?

This isn't an anti-Cutler question, but what exactly is the motivation or rationale for giving him a long term-contract? 

They can franchise him for $14 million or so, what's the downside of doing this, if there's no one else they really need to tag? 

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2013, 09:18:12 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on November 12, 2013, 09:02:18 AM
Maybe they just think he's better than Josh McCown and gives them a better chance to win, even at 80%. I'm pretty sure anybody in the NFL would feel that way, having seen Josh McCown play the 8-10 years or whatever.

In terms of "pay the man his money" why would they do that?

This isn't an anti-Cutler question, but what exactly is the motivation or rationale for giving him a long term-contract? 

They can franchise him for $14 million or so, what's the downside of doing this, if there's no one else they really need to tag? 

I am decidedly pro-Cutler and would rather see them tag him at this point. It's possible Jay signs for less money to avoid the tag, which I'm cool with, but I mean at this point you can tag him for 2 years and punt this question down the road and not really hamper the franchise's plans elsewhere.