News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Gravity  ( 5,702 )

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Gravity
« on: October 06, 2013, 05:39:53 PM »
Go see this.  Sandra Bullock has never been better, and she's usually very good.  The effects are spectacular.  The story is pretty standard, but it's still very compelling.  The science is about as close as you could get to accurate and still make the movie viable.

There's a scene about 2/3rds of the way through near a space station that had me wincing.

Go see it in a theater.  3D is supposed to be the best.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Gravity
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 09:38:13 AM »
Chuck likes something? WTF, world?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 11:17:00 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 06, 2013, 05:39:53 PM
Go see this.  Sandra Bullock has never been better, and she's usually very good.  The effects are spectacular.  The story is pretty standard, but it's still very compelling.  The science is about as close as you could get to accurate and still make the movie viable.

There's a scene about 2/3rds of the way through near a space station that had me wincing.

Agreed. It's rare to see something now that's completely new, but this is definitely it. There were several scenes that left me totally slack-jawed.

And I'll second the 3D (or IMAX, if available) rec. Pretty subtle and it added a lot.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 11:57:36 AM »
I have not seen this movie.  When I saw it advertised on TV I drew the apparently erroneous conclusion that they cast 2 box office draws in a movie that they expected to be a bomb if it didn't feature attractive names.  (How many people went to see "2001" because Kubrick cast Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood in the leads?) I will take the previous commenters' words for it and go see it as soon as I can.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 11:57:47 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 06, 2013, 05:39:53 PM

Too bad it wasn't Christina Hendricks in the lead role.  She has experience in space.

You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 04:35:27 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 07, 2013, 11:57:47 AM
Too bad it wasn't Christina Hendricks in the lead role.  She has experience in space.

She would have been miscast. No one would believe there's any environment where she'd be weightless.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 05:01:31 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 07, 2013, 04:35:27 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 07, 2013, 11:57:47 AM

She would have been miscast. No one would believe there's any environment where she'd be weightless.

herp derp
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 01:00:39 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on October 07, 2013, 11:57:36 AM
I have not seen this movie.  When I saw it advertised on TV I drew the apparently erroneous conclusion that they cast 2 box office draws in a movie that they expected to be a bomb if it didn't feature attractive names.  (How many people went to see "2001" because Kubrick cast Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood in the leads?) I will take the previous commenters' words for it and go see it as soon as I can.

I reject the previous commentors' words, still hold your and my original conclusion and refuse to see this film.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 03:32:19 PM »
I went to see this in IMAX 3D tonight.  Fuck me.  My shit was well and truly gripped: indeed, I sat with my hand over my open mouth for pretty much the entire fucking thing.

Not so much a film as an ordeal.  Go and see it on the biggest fucking screen you can find.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 02:28:56 AM »
If this doesn't win Best Picture it'll have been fucking robbed.

Eli has it right with "completely new."  I was about to post what an incredibly original film this was, even though I already read his post, but after having seen it that's all I could think.  Quite an achievement in storytelling, and I'm really glad I went and saw it.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 11:43:23 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 07, 2013, 11:17:00 AM
And I'll second the 3D (or IMAX, if available) rec. Pretty subtle and it added a lot.

I usually think 3D is unnecessary, but you're right it was subtle and done right. Unlike the preview for the latest Lord of the Rings thing that looked like some kind of big screen diorama.

If you are going to see this movie it has to be on a big screen.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 12:50:34 PM »
Quote from: Tony on October 21, 2013, 11:43:23 AM

I usually think 3D is unnecessary, but you're right it was subtle and done right. Unlike the preview for the latest Lord of the Rings thing that looked like some kind of big screen diorama.

Not everyone agrees.

Quote from: @greggutfeldAlso, is 3D necessary if all you're gunna do is send a fountain pen my direction?

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 01:12:33 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 21, 2013, 12:50:34 PM

Not everyone agrees.

Quote from: @greggutfeldAlso, is 3D necessary if all you're gunna do is send a fountain pen my direction?

There were a ton of pens floating around. Too many if you ask me.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 03:15:31 PM »

Not everyone agrees.

Weird criticism. They did have just a few of those whoa-look-at-this-come-at-you moments, but I thought they used it really well for larger-scale depth. Some of the wider shots were pretty fantastic.

Also, not related to anything else: Sandra Bullock is IN SHAPE.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 03:19:59 PM »
Quote from: Eli on October 21, 2013, 03:15:31 PM

Not everyone agrees.

Weird criticism. They did have just a few of those whoa-look-at-this-come-at-you moments, but I thought they used it really well for larger-scale depth. Some of the wider shots were pretty fantastic.

Also, not related to anything else: Sandra Bullock is IN SHAPE.

I minded her gap