News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Hope Springs Eternal  ( 6,275 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Hope Springs Eternal
« on: February 19, 2014, 03:20:55 PM »
I haven't heard Ernie Banks' rallying cry yet ("You'll wish you had gangreen, watching the Cubs in '14!"), but Tom Ricketts has released his forecast. And take this, Skilling: Nothing but sunny skies!

Quote"I think we have a team right now that can go to the playoffs," Ricketts said during a 15-minute interview with reporters. "We have a good, young nucleus. We have to have guys step up, but we have depth in our system.

I'm reserving my space on North Michigan Ave. for the late October parade.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Hope Springs Eternal
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 04:04:28 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on February 19, 2014, 03:20:55 PM
I haven't heard Ernie Banks' rallying cry yet ("You'll wish you had gangreen, watching the Cubs in '14!"), but Tom Ricketts has released his forecast. And take this, Skilling: Nothing but sunny skies!

Quote"I think we have a team right now that can go to the playoffs," Ricketts said during a 15-minute interview with reporters. "We have a good, young nucleus. We have to have guys step up, but we have depth in our system.

The World Series is won by depth in the system, every season.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 04:14:42 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on February 19, 2014, 04:04:28 PM

The World Series is won by depth in the system, every season.

ORGANIZATIONS WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 04:19:02 PM »

Quote“I think we have a team right now that can go to the playoffs," Ricketts said during a 15-minute interview with reporters. "We have a good, young nucleus. We have to have guys step up, but we have depth in our system.

Totally realistic expectations.  If they fail to make the playoffs, Epstink will be summarily executed, Bartman ball style, at Harry Caray's restaurant.  Theo will contemplate his final moments as Crane's priest blesses the instrumentality of his demise.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 05:33:43 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on February 19, 2014, 04:19:02 PM

Totally realistic expectations.  If they fail to make the playoffs, Epstink will be summarily executed, Bartman ball style, at Harry Caray's restaurant.  Theo will contemplate his final moments as Crane's priest blesses the instrumentality of his demise.

Where in there does Tom say WHEN they can go to the playoffs? And he did qualify it by saying that guys need to step up. So if Darwin Barney doesn't turn into Robinson Cano, well, pffft. What the fuck, Barney?
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 05:41:17 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on February 19, 2014, 05:33:43 PM

Where in there does Tom say WHEN they can go to the playoffs?

I assume October. St. Louis is pretty close to Chicago and I'm sure they'll have group ticket sales.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 05:43:59 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on February 19, 2014, 05:33:43 PM

Totally realistic expectations.  If they fail to make the playoffs, Epstink will be summarily executed, Bartman ball style, at Harry Caray's restaurant.  Theo will contemplate his final moments as Crane's priest blesses the instrumentality of his demise.

Where in there does Tom say WHEN they can go to the playoffs? And he did qualify it by saying that guys need to step up. So if Darwin Barney doesn't turn into Robinson Cano, well, pffft. What the fuck, Barney?

of course they have a team that can right now go to the playoffs (at least by the end of spring training)
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 06:57:16 AM »
Are we supposed to be surprised that the owner of a team doesn't say they suck in an interview?

He's just trying to drum up hope by retarded cubes fans. No news. 

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 09:02:51 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on February 20, 2014, 06:57:16 AM
Are we supposed to be surprised that the owner of a team doesn't say they suck in an interview?

He's not even doing that. He's never going to say "we suck and it's going to be a horrible year."

He's just being optimistic even if it's total bullshit. It means nothing.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 09:43:23 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on February 20, 2014, 09:02:51 AM

He's not even doing that. He's never going to say "we suck and it's going to be a horrible year."

Gotta talk about something.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 09:45:18 AM »
Quote from: Eli on February 20, 2014, 09:43:23 AM
Quote from: Slaky on February 20, 2014, 09:02:51 AM

Gotta talk about something.

TIME TO POST, and all that jazz.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 09:52:07 AM »
Most of the posts in this thread are frankly not making my hope spring at all.

I for one look forward to a World Series championship led by homegrown talent and not a bunch of carpetbaggin free agents who don't put ketchup on their turkey dogs like true Chicagoans.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 09:59:55 AM »
Quote from: R-V on February 20, 2014, 09:52:07 AM

I for one look forward to a World Series championship led by homegrown talent and not a bunch of carpetbaggin free agents who don't put ketchup on their turkey dogs like true Chicagoans.

I was reading the latest tripe from Gordo on the shitter just now. You know he's fucking angry as hell about Ricketts every day and this article is the latest in that series. WHERE IS THE MONEY RICKETTS. WHERE IS THE MONEY.

Anyway, it was just whining about payroll and why is it so low. It helps center me when I realize I can't possibly on the same side as him.

That said, if the Cubs finally do put a winner together you just know the story of the time Epstein was ready to quit and walk away forever if not for Tom's intervention (or someone) is going to break.

How many times at this point do you think Theo's thought about just ending this experiment?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 10:14:31 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on February 20, 2014, 09:59:55 AM
Quote from: R-V on February 20, 2014, 09:52:07 AM

I was reading the latest tripe from Gordo on the shitter just now. You know he's fucking angry as hell about Ricketts every day and this article is the latest in that series. WHERE IS THE MONEY RICKETTS. WHERE IS THE MONEY.

Anyway, it was just whining about payroll and why is it so low. It helps center me when I realize I can't possibly on the same side as him.

That said, if the Cubs finally do put a winner together you just know the story of the time Epstein was ready to quit and walk away forever if not for Tom's intervention (or someone) is going to break.

How many times at this point do you think Theo's thought about just ending this experiment?

What experiment?  Razing the organization and re-building?   

There's nothing Epstein & Co. laid out when they started that they're now contradicting.  It might be tough to weather the storm but Christ--this organization was rotten to the core.  All projections seemed to be trending upward.  Losing one's nerve at thispoint, after they've turned this elephant around, will never not strike me as foolhardy.  Foolhardy, I tell ya!

Stay the course, Theo.  Fuck all the instant gratifiers who seem to have forgotten how entirely messed up this organization was just a little over 2 years ago. 
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 10:31:38 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on February 20, 2014, 10:14:31 AM
What experiment?  Razing the organization and re-building?   

There's nothing Epstein & Co. laid out when they started that they're now contradicting.  It might be tough to weather the storm but Christ--this organization was rotten to the core.  All projections seemed to be trending upward.  Losing one's nerve at thispoint, after they've turned this elephant around, will never not strike me as foolhardy.  Foolhardy, I tell ya!

Stay the course, Theo.  Fuck all the instant gratifiers who seem to have forgotten how entirely messed up this organization was just a little over 2 years ago. 

I think "experiment" is a fine word to describe what's happening. Intentionally putting terrible teams on the field for 3-4 years, stockpiling high draft picks and mostly avoiding free agency is a little experimental, since this sort of thing has rarely (if ever) been done before. At least for a team in a huge market like the Cubs.