News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Poll

Who should be dropped off in East St. Louis, doused in kerosene, and lit on fire?

Pedro Strop
Fernando Rodney
Clayton Richard
All three
All of us
The BFIBB and Mike Shannon

Author Topic: Who should be dropped off in East St. Louis, doused in kerosene and lit on fire?  ( 6,223 )

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: InternetApex on September 10, 2015, 12:16:33 PM
Quote from: SKO on September 10, 2015, 11:12:12 AM
Quote from: Oleg on September 10, 2015, 11:09:48 AM
Quote from: SKO on September 10, 2015, 09:06:17 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on September 10, 2015, 08:57:58 AM
Quote from: SKO on September 10, 2015, 08:04:05 AM
Quote from: PANK! on September 10, 2015, 08:00:01 AM
Quote from: Shooter on September 09, 2015, 07:39:08 PM
Quote from: Tonker on September 09, 2015, 04:24:03 PM
Quote from: SKO on September 09, 2015, 04:11:58 PM
Quote from: Eli on September 09, 2015, 03:39:10 PM
Maddon, for pulling Lester?

I just don't understand why Joe plays the matchups with everyone else but refuses to acknowledge that the Cardinals own Pedro Strop.  He should definitely never have been allowed to face Garcia (the slapdick who homered off of Pedro a while back to blow a 2-1 lead in St. Louis the last time they were there) after he walked the corpse of that turd Reynolds on 5 pitches.
At this point, the Cubs are going to the Wild Card game more or less whatever happens, so maybe Joe just wanted to give Strop one more chance to get that dirty, smelly, inbred, retarded monkey off his back.  Now he knows for sure that, should the Cubs advance to the NLDS, Pedro needs to sit for three games while the rest of the Cubs fuck St. Louis up the arse roughly, from behind, with no kissing.

That's pretty much what I was thinking.

Is failure to retire players wearing certain laundry a repeatable (lack of) skill?

It just seems counter-intuitive that the guy simply can't pitch against a particular team while being rather effective against all others.  I mean, I get it--off the top of my head, he's been lit up 5 separate times by the Cardinals.  It just doesn't seem to make sense, in spite of his utter consistent failure against Cardinal, to sit him down against just them.  Not that I want to seem them keep trying but...

Who knows, maybe the Cardinals saw something in the Astros scouting report on Pedro.

In actuality, he may be tipping his pitches in a way that only the Cardinals know. Why wouldn't they share that info with other teams? Maybe they don't want him to find out and fix it.

They are apparently renowned as the best sign stealers in the game, but that doesn't excuse walking Mark fucking Reynolds (for the second time this year) on pitches that aren't even close to the zone. That stupid old fat fucker would chase any slider he manages to get within the right zip code and Pedro still can't do it. It's mind boggling.

Maybe The Cardinals are just a good hitting team and his struggles against them can be chalked up to that with a combination of randomness/small sample size?  I know it's weird and he's pretty much an All-Star against everyone else but still...

Except they really aren't that good of a hitting team, especially not lately, and the ones he was facing (Reynolds and Garcia) are definitely not good. Even if it's completely random or a small sample size, I'm perfectly fine with not giving him enough opportunities against the Cardinals to allow that sample size to grow to the point where we can say, definitively, "yup, he just can't get Cardinals out".

I wouldn't bench him for 7-game series against them. Let him pitch low-leverage against them at Wrigley this month and see how that goes. This may be a confidence issue. He's not trusting his stuff against them because they've hit some good pitches and what not. I recall the Peralta MOOB shot a few months back. That was random as dick.
JD has mentioned a few times that Pedro doesn't look comfortable on the mound when facing the Cardinals.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: flannj on September 10, 2015, 12:27:28 PM

I just don't understand why Joe plays the matchups with everyone else but refuses to acknowledge that the Cardinals own Pedro Strop.  He should definitely never have been allowed to face Garcia (the slapdick who homered off of Pedro a while back to blow a 2-1 lead in St. Louis the last time they were there) after he walked the corpse of that turd Reynolds on 5 pitches.
At this point, the Cubs are going to the Wild Card game more or less whatever happens, so maybe Joe just wanted to give Strop one more chance to get that dirty, smelly, inbred, retarded monkey off his back.  Now he knows for sure that, should the Cubs advance to the NLDS, Pedro needs to sit for three games while the rest of the Cubs fuck St. Louis up the arse roughly, from behind, with no kissing.

Is failure to retire players wearing certain laundry a repeatable (lack of) skill?

It just seems counter-intuitive that the guy simply can't pitch against a particular team while being rather effective against all others.  I mean, I get it--off the top of my head, he's been lit up 5 separate times by the Cardinals.  It just doesn't seem to make sense, in spite of his utter consistent failure against Cardinal, to sit him down against just them.  Not that I want to seem them keep trying but...

Who knows, maybe the Cardinals saw something in the Astros scouting report on Pedro.

In actuality, he may be tipping his pitches in a way that only the Cardinals know. Why wouldn't they share that info with other teams? Maybe they don't want him to find out and fix it.

They are apparently renowned as the best sign stealers in the game, but that doesn't excuse walking Mark fucking Reynolds (for the second time this year) on pitches that aren't even close to the zone. That stupid old fat fucker would chase any slider he manages to get within the right zip code and Pedro still can't do it. It's mind boggling.

Maybe The Cardinals are just a good hitting team and his struggles against them can be chalked up to that with a combination of randomness/small sample size?  I know it's weird and he's pretty much an All-Star against everyone else but still...

Except they really aren't that good of a hitting team, especially not lately, and the ones he was facing (Reynolds and Garcia) are definitely not good. Even if it's completely random or a small sample size, I'm perfectly fine with not giving him enough opportunities against the Cardinals to allow that sample size to grow to the point where we can say, definitively, "yup, he just can't get Cardinals out".

I wouldn't bench him for 7-game series against them. Let him pitch low-leverage against them at Wrigley this month and see how that goes. This may be a confidence issue. He's not trusting his stuff against them because they've hit some good pitches and what not. I recall the Peralta MOOB shot a few months back. That was random as dick.
JD has mentioned a few times that Pedro doesn't look comfortable on the mound when facing the Cardinals.

This is just a long con by Pedro and Joe.  Strop's going to come into the 9th inning of the deciding game of the NLDS with a 1 run lead, strike out the side and then flex at the Cardinals' dugout so hard that his shirt and pants explode into confetti.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: CT III on September 10, 2015, 01:03:52 PM

This is just a long con by Pedro and Joe.  Strop's going to come into the 9th inning of the deciding game of the NLDS with a 1 run lead, strike out the side and then flex at the Cardinals' dugout so hard that his shirt and pants explode into confetti.

With said lead the result of a Starlin pinch-hit HR followed by a 2 minute long pimp strut around the bases follwed by instant stroke deaths for Mike Shannon and Tim McCarver followed by Starlin asking for Gail Fischer's microphone, silencing the crowd and screaming FUCK YOU CHUCK! YES YOU CHUCK THE DESIPIO BANKER!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

An inning after Jon Lester ends a Cardinals threat with his Magnum pickoff move he's been perfecting for two years.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
On the other hand - rolling through St. Louis and taking three games from the best (record) team in the NL seems like a huge ask. Did we all think they'd just go quiet into that meth stained night? The stupid fucking gut punch they almost pulled in game two came to it's full fruition in game three.

It's hard for me to get too pissed off about the Cardinals getting to the bullpen because they're good. Good teams hit pitchers, good and bad. It happens.

Now if the Cubs can right the wrong of the Philadelphia series from July by taking all four while the Cards and Reds fumble around with each others' bra straps in the dark and the Pirates continue to trip over their own capes vs. Milwaukee we're talking about more gained ground.

The series in St. Louis was an overall very positive experience - it's just the last game that sucked.

Jake will get us rolling again and let's see how those standings look Sunday night. Should be pretty good.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Slaky on September 10, 2015, 01:17:03 PM
On the other hand - rolling through St. Louis and taking three games from the best (record) team in the NL seems like a huge ask. Did we all think they'd just go quiet into that meth stained night? The stupid fucking gut punch they almost pulled in game two came to it's full fruition in game three.

It's hard for me to get too pissed off about the Cardinals getting to the bullpen because they're good. Good teams hit pitchers, good and bad. It happens.

Now if the Cubs can right the wrong of the Philadelphia series from July by taking all four while the Cards and Reds fumble around with each others' bra straps in the dark and the Pirates continue to trip over their own capes vs. Milwaukee we're talking about more gained ground.

The series in St. Louis was an overall very positive experience - it's just the last game that sucked.

Jake will get us rolling again and let's see how those standings look Sunday night. Should be pretty good.

It was a positive series. I also don't think anyone really needed the pep talk. The game meant nothing in the long run. I think anyone sane isn't actually worried, it's just irritating as hell to have a chance to sweep those jerks in their own stadium and have the guy that blew their chance at taking 3/4 from them at Wrigley (and who blew a lead Jake Arrieta had handed him against these jerks the last time they were in STL) blow it yet again.

I just saw like 500 CALM DOWN CUBS FANS tweets yesterday and no one doing anything other than grumbling about Pedro Strop. I think with a  9.5 game lead or whatever even the most panicky of all panicky dipshits (and I'm probably in that category) aren't freaking out over the loss. I just hate the Cardinals and their fans and I'm mad I was deprived of a sweep to rub in their stupid fucking faces. It has no bearing on my overall 24/7 erection over the team.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on September 10, 2015, 01:22:42 PM

It was a positive series. I also don't think anyone really needed the pep talk. The game meant nothing in the long run. I think anyone sane isn't actually worried, it's just irritating as hell to have a chance to sweep those jerks in their own stadium and have the guy that blew their chance at taking 3/4 from them at Wrigley (and who blew a lead Jake Arrieta had handed him against these jerks the last time they were in STL) blow it yet again.

I just saw like 500 CALM DOWN CUBS FANS tweets yesterday and no one doing anything other than grumbling about Pedro Strop. I think with a  9.5 game lead or whatever even the most panicky of all panicky dipshits (and I'm probably in that category) aren't freaking out over the loss. I just hate the Cardinals and their fans and I'm mad I was deprived of a sweep to rub in their stupid fucking faces. It has no bearing on my overall 24/7 erection over the team.

Shut up

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: R-V on September 10, 2015, 01:08:52 PM

With said lead the result of a Starlin pinch-hit HR followed by a 2 minute long pimp strut around the bases follwed by instant stroke deaths for Mike Shannon and Tim McCarver followed by Starlin asking for Gail Fischer's microphone, silencing the crowd and screaming FUCK YOU CHUCK! YES YOU CHUCK THE DESIPIO BANKER!

I would buy a steak dinner at any restaurant in Chicago for any Cub who moonwalks during a HR trot in St. Louis.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Slaky on September 10, 2015, 01:47:33 PM
Quote from: SKO on September 10, 2015, 01:22:42 PM

Shut up

Sorry. Let my irritation at the usual fun police of Cubs twitter boil over to here. The ratio of people I saw saying EVERYONE CALM DOWN vs people actually panicking about that loss yesterday on twitter was like 50:1. Obviously nothing is fucked here, but rivalries are part of the fun of sports and if people want to vent a little about Pedro Strop blowing a save against the team's bitter rival for the third time this year, just let them.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Yours truly will be in attendance for tomorrow and Saturday's game.  My brothers and I are flying the old man out to the City Brotherly Love to take in the games.  I'll also be able to mark cheesesteaks off my bucket list.  Go Cubs.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PANK! on September 10, 2015, 02:14:22 PM
Yours truly will be in attendance for tomorrow and Saturday's game.  My brothers and I are flying the old man out to the City Brotherly Love to take in the games.  I'll also be able to mark cheesesteaks off my bucket list.  Go Cubs.

Was it like $5 to sit in the front row? And RIP Ruben Amaro.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club

I laughed a good old out-loud Hoosier laugh at this. My employers don't understand.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 10, 2015, 02:33:49 PM
Yours truly will be in attendance for tomorrow and Saturday's game.  My brothers and I are flying the old man out to the City Brotherly Love to take in the games.  I'll also be able to mark cheesesteaks off my bucket list.  Go Cubs.

I'm kinda bummed the Royals are good again because we used to go to a few games every summer there because tickets were so cheap and it's a super nice ballpark with great food. Back in 2011 I think we bought tickets for 10 bucks a piece to watch them play the Cubs. Tony Campana scored the winning run solely through grit.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Go to Pat's.

And Geno's.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 10, 2015, 02:33:49 PM

We haven't even bought game tickets yet because we figured it'd be a pretty big buyer's market once we get down there.  Thank you, Ruben.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs